This game could use more dungeons for better experience of the game

Zeror

From the start of iRose i really like Rose for the game it is, but wandering through the zones kept me questioning one thing. How does these monsters fit in the scenery? Where are they coming from? So i had this idea for a long time to do something with that by giving the player new locations that explains that a bit more of the monsters origins in the form of dungeons.

The first dungeon you find when playing is Goblin Cave. You can go there on level 40+ or something. In my opinion that quite a bit late for the first dungeon to appear. So why not adding more dungeons, whether it's a big or small experience. Cause it doesn't always have to be large places with 3 or more different floors etc.. Even a cave, fortress with a single room or a bunch of rooms is enough already. In some cases it doesn't even have to be an indoor place as it can be a specialized outdoor location as well. Also these locations are the perfect place to have as the only place (or few places) where the King of the enemy family spawns.

To give a couple of examples:

• The woopie enemies around Zant are about cooking. So why not have a Woopie Butchery where the Woopie King lives.
  • Or Porkies and Grunters. They have serious weaponry and armor, but no fortress to defend. So why not give 'm a fortress.
  • Or add one or two ice caverns on Luna with more of the magical beasts inside.

These things really adds to the immersiveness of the game. And it fits the story as well and makes the zones looking more meaningful too.

Edited by Zeror
  • Like 6

There are actually quite a few good spots for that on Luna. Junon also has a few random buildings that by implication serve as 'places where monsters come from'. Some of those (Anima Lake, Forest of Wisdom, Goblin Caves) can be instanced mini-dungeons too. 

Good idea!

• Confused 1

Now, this is going back over a decade, so i may very well be misremembering or even just thinking i saw it. But i could've sworn there was something like that in the earliest iterations of rose. Specifically the '?' in the goblin cave's leading to some kind of devil boss. As far as dungeons go, unfinished dead ends like that would be perfect places to link dungeons into the game world without having to make major map changes. In that case, all you'd have to is make the portal at the '?' go somewhere. Heck, you could even make the goblin caves a dungeon hub by making each '?' it's own unique dungeon.

Edited by Mizore

• 4 weeks later...

Based on what I watched from some Alpha testing videos, it looks like it has the same gameplay from NA ROSE. I think there are already enough dungeons.

Current Dungeons:

• Cave of Ulverick
  • Halls of Oblivion
  • Sea of Dawn
  • Sikuku Catacombs

It was a good time-killer and fun because you can spam it with your friends or other people. By spamming those dungeons, you get Valor Points which you can use to exchange for end game PvE Armor and Weapons, Gems and Runes.

5 hours ago, Zuin said:

Based on what I watched from some Alpha testing videos, it looks like it has the same gameplay from NA ROSE. I think there are already enough dungeons.

Current Dungeons:

• Cave of Ulverick
  • Halls of Oblivion
  • Sea of Dawn
  • Sikuku Catacombs

It was a good time-killer and fun because you can spam it with your friends or other people. By spamming those dungeons, you get Valor Points which you can use to exchange for end game PvE Armor and Weapons, Gems and Runes.

I think each planet should have at least 4-5 dungeons.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

There are dungeons and then there are DUNGEONS. Random instanced low-effort dungeons spice things up a bit, vs something you have to actually organize, plan and queue for. I reckon these can co-exist for all our benefit without pressuring the devs. 

• Confused 1

On 5/19/2022 at 7:51 AM, Zuin said:

Current Dungeons:

• Cave of Ulverick
  • Halls of Oblivion
  • Sea of Dawn
  • Sikuku Catacombs

Those dungeons were mainly all end game, what Zeror is suggesting or at least from what i interpret from what he said is that he want dungeons on most of the maps so that they are playable for low level characters as well and give an origin story to the mobs and how they came about.

19 hours ago, Ashura said:

Those dungeons were mainly all end game, what Zeror is suggesting or at least from what i interpret from what he said is that he want dungeons on most of the maps so that they are playable for low level characters as well and give an origin story to the mobs and how they came about.

Exactly. This gives the game's storyline more depth and gameplay wise more ways to play. It's good if the game doesn't only have endgame dungeons, but have level up dungeons as well. And maybe, if i look to World of Warcraft as an example, all dungeons could be level up dungeons and have a hardmode version for endgame purposes. That would be even better.

• Like 1

The main question would be what would those dungeons offer in terms of game-playability, i do not want the same items that are dropping all over the planet be available in the dungeon it should give players a reason for exploring them and also a sense of necessity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ashura said:

The main question would be what would those dungeons offer in terms of game-playability, i do not want the same items that are dropping all over the planet be available in the dungeon it should give players a reason for exploring them and also a sense of necessity.

Good point. I think items you can only get from dungeons is something that makes the dungeon itself way more attractive to players , even if those items are cosmetic only(for example).

9 hours ago, Zeror said:

And maybe, if i look to World of Warcraft as an example, all dungeons could be level up dungeons and have a hardmode version for endgame purposes. That would be even better.

This is what made me addicted to World of Warcraft back in the day lol.

6 hours ago, Ashura said:

The dungeons could have a increased chance of dropping the blue items (saint/legend/grand/elven/etc..). And even have the exclusive chance of dropping purple items. Dungeons could have increased dropchance of many other stuff as well. Which makes the dungeons interesting enough of not skipping them.

Edited by Zeror

37 minutes ago, Zeror said:

The dungeons could have a increased chance of dropping the blue items (saint/legend/grand/elven/etc..). And even have the exclusive chance of dropping purple items. Dungeons could have increased dropchance of many other stuff as well. Which makes the dungeons interesting enough of not skipping them.

I generally like the idea of special rewards in dungeons. But seeing how the devs want to remove pretty much all item binding, it would be a huge mistake to make dungeon drops too good/frequent.

Dungeons are instanced areas and therefore let you farm without any competition. The world will be pretty empty if farming dungeons is the most lucrative thing to do.

I personally prefer e.g. a WoW style of dungeon drops, where you can reasonably target items (much like your suggestion), but everything would bind on pickup. But I think that ship has sailed.

6 hours ago, Rebus said:

I generally like the idea of special rewards in dungeons. But seeing how the devs want to remove pretty much all item binding, it would be a huge mistake to make dungeon drops too good/frequent.

Dungeons are instanced areas and therefore let you farm without any competition. The world will be pretty empty if farming dungeons is the most lucrative thing to do.

I personally prefer e.g. a WoW style of dungeon drops, where you can reasonably target items (much like your suggestion), but everything would bind on pickup. But I think that ship has sailed.

Then perhaps limit the time you can spend in the dungeon and the amount of times you can revisit it on a daily basis, while scaling difficulty and rewards dependent on number of active players in dungeon.

I think if they add dungeons, some need to be single player minded like an "open world" dungeon that isn't instanced. you just go into said dungeon like you would any other map. Sure you can go in with a party but it would be cool to have dungeons for everyone. Like in El Verloon Desert where the aqua king is, maybe along that wall is a cave entrance to the first "low level open world dungeon" you can go through. Kinda like goblin cave but for lower level players. And you would find low level bats, aqua's, rackies, and turtles. Giving people more zones to level up in. Aka more player choice.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:08 AM, Rebus said:

Maybe the droptable can be made so that the special rewards are only there if you enter the dungeon as a party. Or maybe even as a full party.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 3:13 AM, HoneyBuns said:

Zurny actually suggested this in a a few different topics and included where the dungeon entrances could be, which mobs and possible drops:  Adv Plains   Valley of Luxem Tower  Breezy Hills   El Verloon

Didn't see this post yet. The ideas of Zurn are very good. Exactly what i meant.

Here are a few more dungeon ideas:

• Burned Bakery Lair
    • Story: Woopies found this burned down bakery and started using it's basement as their lair.
    • Theme: Old cellar theme.
    • Layout: Small in size. 1 bigger main room and 1 small extra room. Square/rectangle in shape.
    • Location: On top of the hill top right. Replaces the spawn location of Woopie King cave.
    • Mobs: Woopies only.
    • Min. level: lvl 20
  • Aqua Shrine
    • Story: Moldies uncovered this old shrine and set loose of all the aqua's that were concealed inside.
    • Theme: Underground water temple. Goblin cave, but with water and temple-like elements.
    • Layout: One big room and two smaller rooms. One small room is dry, the other rooms has lots of water.
    • Mobs: Moldies and Aqua
    • Min. level: lvl 35
  • Old Junon City
    • Story: When monsters starting roaming the planet they invaded the city. People had to flee and decided to build themselves a better city to protect (Junon Polis).
    • Theme: Outdoor style, uses town assets of Zant and some smaller Junon Polis stuff.
    • Layout: Has 3 old faction districts (Arumic, Righteous, Junon Order) and a main square with shops. Also a small docks with a ravaged ship.
    • Mobs: Porkies, Grunters and Clowns.
    • Min. level: lvl 50
  • Worm Crag Ravine
    • Story: Before the village in Gorge of Silent was abandoned danger came first to the ravine where some of the villages mines were. The mines were connected by rope bridges and many wooden platforms, because there were not much ledges to stand on. The Doonga's and the Worm Dragons, who already lived there, became too much of a threat there.
    • Theme: Ravine with bamboo platforms (like the docks in Adv plains and Kenji Beach) with rope bridges connecting and some mines connecting multiple floors.
    • Layout: 3 floors dungeon. Players start at the middle floor. Lowest floor is the bottom of the ravine where Worm dragons lives. Doonga live on the top two floors.
    • Mobs: Doonga's and Worm Dragons.
    • Min. level: lvl 85
Edited by Zeror
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Zeror said:

Didn't see this post yet. The ideas of Zurn are very good. Exactly what i meant.

Here are a few more dungeon ideas:

• Burned Bakery Lair
    • Story: Woopies found this burned down bakery and started using it as their lair.
    • Theme: Old cellar theme.
    • Layout: Small in size. 1 bigger main room and 1 small extra room. Square/rectangle in shape.
    • Location: On top of the hill top right. Replaces the spawn location of Woopie King cave.
    • Mobs: Woopies only.
    • Min. level: lvl 20
  • Aqua Shrine
    • Story: Moldies uncovered this old shrine and set loose of all the aqua's that were concealed inside.
    • Theme: Underground water temple. Goblin cave, but with water and temple-like elements.
    • Layout: One big room and two smaller rooms. One small room is dry, the other rooms has lots of water.
    • Mobs: Moldies and Aqua
    • Min. level: lvl 35
  • Old Junon City
    • Story: When monsters starting roaming the planet they invaded the city. People had to flee and decided to build themselves a better city to protect (Junon Polis).
    • Theme: Outdoor style, uses town assets of Zant and some smaller Junon Polis stuff.
    • Layout: Has 3 old faction districts (Arumic, Righteous, Junon Order) and a main square with shops. Also a small docks with a ravaged ship.
    • Mobs: Porkies, Grunters and Clowns.
    • Min. level: lvl 50
  • Worm Crag Ravine
    • Story: Before the village in Gorge of Silent was abandoned danger came first to the ravine where some of the villages mines were. The mines were connected by rope bridges and many wooden platforms, because there were not much ledges to stand on. The Doonga's and the Worm Dragons, who already lived there, became too much of a threat there.
    • Theme: Ravine with bamboo platforms (like the docks in Adv plains and Kenji Beach) with rope bridges connecting and some mines connecting multiple floors.
    • Layout: 3 floors dungeon. Players start at the middle floor. Lowest floor is the bottom of the ravine where Worm dragons lives. Doonga live on the top two floors.
    • Mobs: Doonga's and Worm Dragons.
    • Min. level: lvl 85

You, sir, should be hired as a story/quest writer. Your imagination is wild lol. 

• Like 2

I really like the idea and think they would be fun to play!

Besides the cost of developing them, there are two drawbacks.

1) Levels before 50 are quite fast, so players wouldn't get the chance to spend much time in low level dungeons.

2) The devs have said they want the lower level maps more populated. Adding even more areas will further spread out the community. 

5 hours ago, DoubleRose said:

Adding even more areas will further spread out the community. 

This can be negated with level scaling dungeons, which has been mentioned in other places of the forum. If there's a Jelly Bean dungeon that scales with level and has rare unique drops, people will still play it at max level even if it's located on Adv. Plains. There's also the fact that some community dispersion is always inevitable, I don't see how dungeons would further make it worse. If anything it adds horizontal gameplay which I mentioned in my thread here, and it lessens the dispersion of players. Especially if there are reasons to do them later on. Unique items, achievements, completionist, etc.