What's your opinion with the direction we're going?

Hi all! Sorry for bothering.

I know there have been dozens of posts already regarding which direction the server is going, people hating or loving EvoRose, cleric's role and so on. However I wanted to express my feelings too, and thought this was the best way to do so.

I'm playing Rose Online since 2005. As with a lot of people playing here, Rose played a very important role in my childhood and will always be my number one game. 

When the Rednim team announced the server relaunch, I really was excited. A lot of old players having the guts to form a game studio and relaunch this awesome game who died a silent death, that seemed amazing to me. And it turned out to be amazing, really. A lot of thanks and respect for the Rednim team for reviving my childhood game and putting so much effort in bringing it to the (old) players, for FREE.

I guess you maybe already see in which direction I'm going. I admire the Rednim team for all their work and efforts, so this all had nothing to do with them. Very important stating. The reason the excitement for the server had been lowering and lowering last weeks is just a 100% game direction thing.

To be fair, I never played Evo rose. I can say I'm a very experienced iRose player, so I knew there would be a lot to adopt to for me. But I accepted the team's choice to work with EvoRose and really wanted to learn how to play it, and still do. So this discussion also has nothing to do with EvoRose or iRose, or very little.

My 'issue' is, for me Rose has always been a 'slow', self-developing game in which patience and selected farming and leveling was key. I never really cared a lot about being high level as fast as possible. I preferred leveling slower while farming what I needed for the future (gems, hearts, refines, gear, ...) and gradually climbed up to the higher levels and coming to final gears, jewelry, ... But that's my view, everyone does what he likes best.

My 'problem' with the server right now has ALOT to do with the repeatable quests, and the lack of drops worth farming from regular monsters. Leveling right now is about spamming the same repeatable quest over and over again, for hours and hours and hours. And while doing this robotic repeating of killing the same mob over and over again in a giant Aoe party, you'll get to max level with enough patience.

Slower leveling while farming what you need is something you almost never see anymore, you see no one doing it because it is not worth the time. The experience is a lot a lot slower then repeating the same quest over and over again, and there's really not a lot to farm for except for kings which can rarely drop something worth the time.

Go king farming if you don't like the robot repeatable quests people say. Well if you find yourself encouraged enough to farm a spot where the regular monsters drop 0 gems, or hearts and some  refines; the moment your long awaited king spawns a max level player appears, over damages you on the king and runs with the drop. Doesn't mind if the king is 100 levels below the king, still worth it for them to go farm it as it can drop for them too.

Is this the way the game should be balanced? Shouldn't we protect the people who choose for not doing the repeatable quests over and over again? Because really, if you're fair for yourself now you really don’t have another choice now then playing the game this way.

Me and a lot of old school rose players already gave up on the game, in 2 months’ time. I have to say in the past it has always been the server who gave out before me, not vice versa :(.

I think a lot can be changed by making it worth the farm on all monsters by adding gems, hearts, ... to the loot tables and maybe just maybe disabling repeatable quests. Keep the quests, just not repeatable for hours and hours and hours. You'll see people spreading around the server farming all kinds of mobs, working together farming or leveling as they please.

Small adjustments which could get the server in a whole, new direction which is fun for everyone.

Please leave me your opinions and ideas! Positive vibes only!

Kind regards

TheDutchCleric, old sad Rose Online player

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you for writing this down.

I couldn't agree more with everything that you said. The mindless AOE grinding to max level in this game has been some of the worst game experiences I've ever had in an MMORPG (or any game, for that matter). And I hate to say that, because I love ROSE at its core.

With the current leveling meta there is so much of the world that you are not seeing. It felt great right up until level 50-60 when you encounter the first repeatable at the Clowns.

What about every map in Luna besides Mana Snowfields?

Forest of Wandering, Shady Jungle? Nah, just passing through.

Orlo? I only know Fossil Sanctuary.

Sigh...

• Like 6

I think the same about the repeatable quests.
The idea of the changes in the cleric was to make the game more participative, I'm not saying that it hasn't made a change but seeing the groups running around doing the quests over and over again is sad and funny at the same time.

I have been playing alone most of the time , I am still not even level 160 with the oldest of my characters , but I do this to review the game well I like to play slow. Even with another character I'm leveling up I've gone few times to repeatable quests. I have gotten zulie by selling some materials ( dirty ore and spiritual , which is the only thing the valor stores don't have ) and it's been nice to me along the way.
But I feel in particular that the game is going down the same path as NArose , a mechanic focused only on the maximum levels so that they do not leave and not focused on attracting new players and maintain a player base throughout the maps.
What I do like is the change of focus when it comes to pay to win.
But something definitely needs to be done about repeated quests. It feels like a mobile game even with that mechanic that you play alone 🤣.

• Like 1

In my opinion, launch level should of been max lvl 50. - next month, max 100, next month, max 150, next, 200, next, 220, next 230, next 240, next 250 --- By then they might have had next planet finished enough to give more content, along with MAYBE 10 more levels. 

A possible solution to this, is keeping this server as a legacy server, and on the launch of the game, creating a new server for new players to join, starting in that way previously mentioned. (Month 1, lvl cap 50, Month 2, lvl cap 100, ect. ) - The legacy server would eventually merge, in the same way Leonis and Draconis merged. (Maybe) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DoubleRose said:

This game is more about the journey than the destination, and the current journey is too linear and repetitive compared to the Rose I remember.

Agree with literally everything posted in this thread. I know many others think the same, too. I hope the dev team listens.

Spot on. I think all aspects of the game need to be slowed down. I remember playing for months/years as a kid on different servers and never reaching max lvl or end game gear, Managed to do all of that within 1-2 months here. Getting that next level just doesn't hit like it used to. Also couldn't agree more about the appreciation to Rednim for bringing back my favorite game of all time. Hopefully there will be something to draw me back a little while longer!

Edited by JamTreez
  • Like 4

I have listed your concerns in my own topic 

I share the same opinion that the game, in its current state, needs to reconsider the path of progression for a player in order to promote player retention and create a cycle of play that isn't doesn't consist of:
- repeatable quests to reach max level
- running dungeons constantly, to the point where drops that are not extremely rare are devalued completely
- leveling another alt character to earn 30 million zulie because the game doesn't have proper zulie incomes besides farming Orlo in the same spot everyone else is because there are very few spots
- attempting to join in on the King / Wandering farming but you only have a few hours to play and there's 10 other players waiting at the spawns waiting to out tag you.

The current design in progression leaves much to be desired because all of the end game gear is readily available through
- valor farming (which you already complete a lot of it through Eldeon leveling & then dungeon spamming)
- honor farming (which is heavily abused through alts or win trading)
- exalted gear / uniques (which you earn at the same time as you farm valor, and uniques are currently worthless)

As an iROSE player, I enjoyed having several dozens of options of farm spots, each which had their own strength or weakness, because the drop tables were not all identical and you had to pick and choose what you wanted to farm.

I enjoyed the slow progression to reaching end game that I shared with everyone else. Especially finding Prison groups to use blood charms in, as it was one of the best ways of reaching Level 210 back in the day. (Prison sucks now by the way. Sikuku Ruins is the best spot to reach to Orlo in. 😅)

But now, repeatable quests are all you need to get to 250. The charm and essence of what ROSE is loved for doesn't exist with these quests and the current design of core systems.

Edited by Kitty
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GodOfEntity said:

In my opinion, launch level should of been max lvl 50. - next month, max 100, next month, max 150, next, 200, next, 220, next 230, next 240, next 250 --- By then they might have had next planet finished enough to give more content, along with MAYBE 10 more levels. 

A possible solution to this, is keeping this server as a legacy server, and on the launch of the game, creating a new server for new players to join, starting in that way previously mentioned. (Month 1, lvl cap 50, Month 2, lvl cap 100, ect. ) - The legacy server would eventually merge, in the same way Leonis and Draconis merged. (Maybe) 

The thing is, we considered about opening the game the way you did but players was so hurry to play that we ended to release the game how it was since this is what players wanted.

And regarding the current situation it was probably the best solution because you would still get max lvl 50 regarding all the code issues we have to deal with... (code issues that we didn't have in our test environnement or during Alpha)

Reworking all of this take a lot of time, if people enjoy the lvl 1-50 that's because this is the only part that got completely reworked in 10 years, and this is something we really want to do as soon as possible but server stability is the priority for now.

You know, the ROSE team is mostly agree with everything you all said but unfortunally you guys just need to give us some time to work on all of this,

• Like 8

Yeah we wanted the game in a usable state that would be fun to play.  And yes it takes time to rework the game.

Your early access for everyone should been more of a beta test for all (not just a few hand picked people) for month or so to see how things worked with a wipe at the end of it. Then apply changes/fixes/etc for an early access. Then you would of gotten a better feel of the game and how people would play it.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, Garnet said:

The thing is, we considered about opening the game the way you did but players was so hurry to play that we ended to release the game how it was since this is what players wanted.

And regarding the current situation it was probably the best solution because you would still get max lvl 50 regarding all the code issues we have to deal with... (code issues that we didn't have in our test environnement or during Alpha)

Reworking all of this take a lot of time, if people enjoy the lvl 1-50 that's because this is the only part that got completely reworked in 10 years, and this is something we really want to do as soon as possible but server stability is the priority for now.

You know, the ROSE team is mostly agree with everything you all said but unfortunally you guys just need to give us some time to work on all of this,

I appreciate you take the time to react here garnet. I really understand that changing the whole game takes a lot a lot of work but if you could just ban repeatable quests? I don't think that's a lot of work for you guys and it really would make a big difference already.

Players would be 'forced' to roam and discover ways of leveling/farming in stead of spamming the repeatables and being max lvl in 2 weeks.

Looking forward to your feedback and again, appreciate you tike the time to answer here. 

On 2/10/2023 at 12:39 PM, Garnet said:

You know, the ROSE team is mostly agree with everything you all said but unfortunally you guys just need to give us some time to work on all of this,also, 

Also, banning repeatable quests would result in a drastic lowering of bot and script use in game. If you make farming more rewarding people won't bot because they need the loot above the exp... Gone with the bot parties and alot less work for the team to ban botters 

13 hours ago, Garnet said:

Sorry, my point I was trying to make, is that; having the max lvl be 250 in the first month, was kind of bad. 

I personally don't particularly agree with /all/ the other points people are making, but believe that if people had to level intermittently (a capped amount per month) , would have solved most all of the problems people are bringing up. (Something that is 'kind' of too late to do now) 

However I do agree with the general idea that the game is about the Journey, and not the destination. But it seems as though the destination generally speaking, is "max level." Which is why my personal belief of getting to "max level" intermittently, I think would make it a better Journey for everyone. 

To me, it's sort of frustrating to hear someone say, okay, I made it to "max level" now what. --- Because, that's just, the current max level; It seems as though this development team would like to see completion of the game. So, current "max level" is NOT the >end game< end game. 

I believe, generally speaking, if players understood on a deeper level, (hah, no pun intended) - That max level is something that will change, and this isn't actually end game; which I believe would have been accomplished from leveling being... restricted on a per month basis universally. 

18 hours ago, DoubleRose said:

This game is more about the journey than the destination, and the current journey is too linear and repetitive compared to the Rose I remember.

This is a very vague, yet very accurate short description of the problem.  Unfortunately it offers no solution, but only presents forth the problem. Yet, the context of the problem brings forth the ideas for solution. My solution is merely a 'possible' solution for this problem.  There may be better solutions. Mine might not even be a good solution. 

I do think that unfortunately as much as we all, including myself, do not like the repeatable quests particularly, they /are/ sort of... Necessary. 

I think another idea is to have the main storyline be more impactful. Exp wise. - Have doing the actual, main quest story line, be a plausible method to hitting max level. But that brings forth the problem that people will generally still rush level to max, get fully geared, and then say, now what. 

I think that a main issue is that, we all have a tendency to acknowledge something as being a problem. But not really see solutions that would actually be solutions, or that we can see solutions we think are solutions, that might actually simply make things worse. 

Take possible solution to this problem for example, 

18 hours ago, TheDutchCleric said:

Go king farming if you don't like the robot repeatable quests people say. Well if you find yourself encouraged enough to farm a spot where the regular monsters drop 0 gems, or hearts and some  refines; the moment your long awaited king spawns a max level player appears, over damages you on the king and runs with the drop. Doesn't mind if the king is 100 levels below the king, still worth it for them to go farm it as it can drop for them too.

The first thought is a bandage to the problem; Well, if we stop max levels from being able to farm those mobs, then the problem goes away. But the fact is, it introduces a bigger problem - Less things for max levels to be able to do. Max levels being able to farm lower level mobs was a solution to max levels not having enough to do. (and a good solution if I may add) 

I guess though, a deeper solution is that there can be a provocation mob spawn, that only those that provoked the king spawn, are entitled to the drop.  As my proposed solution(of making max level take longer to get to), is technically only a Band-Aid for that deeper problem.  Because a fact remains, that all those issues that once existed, before the slowed leveling was a thing, will, re-emerge once everyone is max level again, and it will magnify for the new player once again. 

I guess one thing is for sure. I cannot bring forth the absolute best solutions to the problem this game faces. But I can recognize that some of these problems are very real. My gripe however is with what can seem to be a solution, that may only cause new and worse problems. 

There is a fairly large player base retention for such an old game. So, something is being done right.  

There are many things I don't know. Like, how long will it take for the next planet to be finished; What will be the actual max level. 

I can agree, very strongly that there  ARE problems with the game. But it's difficult for me to articulate why I so firmly disagree with the proposed solutions, or even with the 'lead into' solutions. It's very easy to band aid a problem. When the actual solution, may be just to let it air out. So to speak.

I don't know where the games direction actually is. It seems as though they want to actually finish the game. But it doesn't seem to me like there's actually a plan of getting there, aside from just, working out the bugs we are currently facing. With a player base seemingly wanting solutions to end game problems, when end game isn't reached yet.  

End game solutions to mid game problems is only going to delay actual end game content. 

Edited by GodOfEntity

MOBS should only drop items when they are green or higher for the player. Also, why so white mobs do so much damage? The other day I went to the goblin cave for the airship quest, I got pummeled by 3 needle bats? I was wearing SR gear ref 9, that should give enough defense to not be harmed that much? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TheDutchCleric said:

Also, banning repeatable quests would result in a drastic lowering of bot and script use in game. If you make farming more rewarding people won't bot because they need the loot above the exp... Gone with the bot parties and alot less work for the team to ban botters 

Indeed, thats the way to go. Only problem right now is : the current droptable. Like what do you actually want to farm? Drops are shit besides dungeons.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kayuchi said:

Indeed, thats the way to go. Only problem right now is : the current droptable. Like what do you actually want to farm? Drops are shit besides dungeons.

That's 1 of my 2 main points 🙂 ban repeatable quests so people go explore more and make farming worth it on regular mobs not only kings 

• Like 2

So I'm a new player and I have mixed feelings. I've only been doing all the non repeatable quests and seeing others slingshot to 250 while i'm still low is pretty demoralizing. I feel like i'm being punished for wanting to do normal quests and reading the story. Of course I know this is just the result of how I choose to play the game and my schedule but.. It's an rpg right? There's just such a huge difference between standing in one spot and doing repeatables over actually exploring the world and fighting different monsters. Maybe I'm just being petty.

I was encouraged to play because of the monetization changes and I want to support that (I still want an invisible back slot + invisible shield/offhand cosmetic) and I know changes take time but yeah things feel a bit off at the moment.

Edited by Caly
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheDutchCleric said:

Why's that? Gray means to weak for you so why farming a weak monster? I like the challenge of fighting a worthy opponent 

As I tried to explain in a very lengthy response in this thread;  But I will try to explain better;

Grey mob farming was brought to high levels to shift the focus of them only having certain maps to farm from, as when you're high level, there is not many places to farm from. Not only that, but you've worked to have a max level char, and you now kind of deserve to be rewarded. Being able to farm anywhere is sort of, part of that reward. You're meant to FEEL strong, because you MADE a strong char. 

IF Max levels couldn't farm any mobs; There would then only be ONE map for high levels to farm from, and people would be upset if high levels are farming it, because people are tying to level there as it is. --- But now that problem you seem to see on every map in the game, would be magnified onto ONLY ONE map in the game. 

What you think would solve one problem, as I already tried to explain in my previous post, would cause, so much more problems. Much worse problems. 

Edited by GodOfEntity

22 minutes ago, GodOfEntity said:

As I tried to explain in a very lengthy response in this thread;  But I will try to explain better;

Grey mob farming was brought to high levels to shift the focus of them only having certain maps to farm from, as when you're high level, there is not many places to farm from. Not only that, but you've worked to have a max level char, and you now kind of deserve to be rewarded. Being able to farm anywhere is sort of, part of that reward. You're meant to FEEL strong, because you MADE a strong char. 

IF Max levels couldn't farm any mobs; There would then only be ONE map for high levels to farm from, and people would be upset if high levels are farming it, because people are tying to level there as it is. --- But now that problem you seem to see on every map in the game, would be magnified onto ONLY ONE map in the game. 

What you think would solve one problem, as I already tried to explain in my previous post, would cause, so much more problems. Much worse problems. 

Don't try to shoehorn high level characters into low level maps. This creates inherent conflict with low level players that doesn't exist normally. Also, it cannot possibly be balanced in any way that works well for both groups given their differences, unless you introduce a very robust level compensation system to de-level higher level characters, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a higher level farmer. The solution is to create appropriate content for higher levels, repurpose existing content, or shrink the max level (e.g. max is 200) so the number of existing maps can offer a reasonable range of alternatives to this shrunk max level. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GodOfEntity said:

That's pathetic. So because somebody grinded all the way to 250 that gives them the right to ruin the spots where lower level players, that might want to go slower, level up?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fietsopa said:

Don't try to shoehorn high level characters into low level maps. This creates inherent conflict with low level players that doesn't exist normally. Also, it cannot possibly be balanced in any way that works well for both groups given their differences, unless you introduce a very robust level compensation system to de-level higher level characters, which kind of defeats the purpose of using a higher level farmer. The solution is to create appropriate content for higher levels, repurpose existing content, or shrink the max level (e.g. max is 200) so the number of existing maps can offer a reasonable range of alternatives to this shrunk max level. 

You'll still have a situation where someone gears up a lvl 20, a lvl 40, a lvl 60, ect. ect. ect. - So that they can farm with boosted gear at those spots, and have this exact same "problem" you see, only difference is, now it's slightly more annoying for them to run No EXP scrolls, and they need more characters for farming specific loot. Which is just silly. 

6 minutes ago, xBerry said:

That's pathetic. So because somebody grinded all the way to 250 that gives them the right to ruin the spots where lower level players, that might want to go slower, level up?

A max level shouldn't be ruining a spot, if they are, you can politely ask them to not ruin your spot. If they continue to grief you, you can report them for a possible ban. Your leveling takes priority over their farm. High levels should treat others with respect. If you're not being treated with respect from high levels, then something is wrong. 

Edited by GodOfEntity

49 minutes ago, GodOfEntity said:

You'll still have a situation where someone gears up a lvl 20, a lvl 40, a lvl 60, ect. ect. ect. - So that they can farm with boosted gear at those spots, and have this exact same "problem" you see, only difference is, now it's slightly more annoying for them to run No EXP scrolls, and they need more characters for farming specific loot. Which is just silly. 

You won't have the same problem - you're pitting (close to) equally leveled characters against each other where the deciding factor is gear and skill. This is game design 101 - when competition ensures, let the newbies lose out due to gear and/or skill, which are two things they can control and/or improve on. The ability to get better in a material way in a reasonable amount of time keeps people playing MMOs. What doesn't keep people playing MMOs is losing out very early on in your journey when you never have a chance because your opponent is 150 levels above you and has many times the capabilities that you have. This is a quit moment for players and is objectively just bad game design.

Also, you'd have a much, much easier time balancing the content to be challenging and fair to characters of the same level. Unless you implement a dynamic level scaler in the game, which ROSE does not have, you will never have a balanced yet challenging farming. You actually will do more damage to the game balance if you try to change things to accommodate low and max level farmers of the same mob, and the end result is bosses in the lower maps with a million points of HP, simply because you're trying to balance this one mob to be farmed by a level 250 character and a level 80 character. 

The point about alternative farmers is somewhat legit, however, ROSE is and has always been a game of projects and tools. I'd argue that the charm and richness of the game lies precisely in the fact that to achieve X you often times need to start a project (a new character) and acquire the tools (gear for that character). Most of the community is used to that and, if the barrier to entry is not prohibitively high, new players are also OK with that. I've dealt with a lot of newbies on other servers who enjoy this type of project managing. You can juice so much extra content out of the game by having dedicated farmers and it can be enjoyable if the leveling is paced properly. But the balance has to be such as to allow you to become more efficient in making these alternate farmers as you snowball your gear and zulie. If it's always a tedious, repetitive process, then such a design strategy doesn't work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Fietsopa said:

You won't have the same problem - you're pitting (close to) equally leveled characters against each other where the deciding factor is gear and skill. This is game design 101 - when competition ensures, let the newbies lose out due to gear and/or skill, which are two things they can control and/or improve on. The ability to get better in a material way in a reasonable amount of time keeps people playing MMOs. What doesn't keep people playing MMOs is losing out very early on in your journey when you never have a chance because your opponent is 150 levels above you and has many times the capabilities that you have. This is a quit moment for players and is objectively just bad game design.

Also, you'd have a much, much easier time balancing the content to be challenging and fair to characters of the same level. Unless you implement a dynamic level scaler in the game, which ROSE does not have, you will never have a balanced yet challenging farming. You actually will do more damage to the game balance if you try to change things to accommodate low and max level farmers of the same mob, and the end result is bosses in the lower maps with a million points of HP, simply because you're trying to balance this one mob to be farmed by a level 250 character and a level 80 character. 

The point about alternative farmers is somewhat legit, however, ROSE is and has always been a game of projects and tools. I'd argue that the charm and richness of the game lies precisely in the fact that to achieve X you often times need to start a project (a new character) and acquire the tools (gear for that character). Most of the community is used to that and, if the barrier to entry is not prohibitively high, new players are also OK with that. I've dealt with a lot of newbies on other servers who enjoy this type of project managing. You can juice so much extra content out of the game by having dedicated farmers and it can be enjoyable if the leveling is paced properly. But the balance has to be such as to allow you to become more efficient in making these alternate farmers as you snowball your gear and zulie. If it's always a tedious, repetitive process, then such a design strategy doesn't work. 

Do you have a max level Artisan, that you use another char to farm matts for to make equipment for lower levels for?

Thats always how ROSE have been, and nobody had any problems with that. It indeed created a sub market for farmers like fietsopa said. And gave people more things to do. (Lvling alt chars).

You name arti's, but its mostly all other classes that 'farm' low lvl area's. Its just lame that a lvl 250 can even 'farm' adventures plains for example.

• Like 3