Running through water

robroseon-01

Here is a thought on water.

If you go into it, your mspeed slows down, no matter walking, running or driving.

Also, how about if your head goes underwater, and if you don't have a snorkel on, your HP will start going down?

Why should be be able to run or drive fast through water when it will actually slow a person or vehicle in real life.   No one can breath underwater either, so a snorkel would need to be worn on the character to keep breathing.    

😄

• Like 1

The big problem with suggestion is that there is no easy way to determine if you are actually under water or not within the games code. The water level is just a defined plane within the graphic definitions of the IFO files. The server has no current way to even determine if you are under water or not

It would require some kind of collision map data on the server side along with a whole new bunch of additional code in the server.

It's possible but not without a fair amount of additional code.

However it's far from impossible. I've already coded everything needed for just such a concept as test code using the 137 codebase. It wasn't intended for this specific purpose but It could definitely be done.

• Like 2

Despite it being near impossible to implement, i don't really like the idea.
Water is omnipresent in Rose, there are many scenarios where you have to run through it to either travel or fight, this would make the game a hassle.
Not to mention it would discourage people from potential exploration and finding cool screenshot spot.

If anything we should promote exploration, not limiting it.

• Like 2

It would be possible if the game had a Y-axis to detect height, but it doesn't. Since the water level is usually at a set height, anything under set height would count as under-water. Though they have varied heights of water in some maps like Anima and Adventure Plains, where you'd need to have the above stated collision detection. You could arguably use a proximity check / second that applies a stack status, but not all water is in perfectly round bodies, so you'd need custom dimensions, IE, again the hit-box collision.

Personally, I'd take it a step further, and say if you went deep enough you'd be "swimming". 

It would be possible if the game had a Y-axis to detect height, but it doesn't.

It actually does have that capability. It is specifically ignored in the source code. We even have a special routine that gradually decreases height above ground when you run off a high cliff.

TBH adding flight to the game would be pretty easy. Not trivial but definitely not too hard to do.

Whether we would actually want to do so is a completely different question as it would introduce a whole new set of potential problems, primarily related to the fact that we have individual maps rather than a continuous world.

It wouldn't be all that hard to switch to swimming mode when in water. It would require a lot of new game mechanics and animations but technically not too difficult.

I have to say though, I agree with Shid0x. Running through water and pretty much ignoring it is one of the features that I always liked about Rose

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PurpleYouko said:

It actually does have that capability. It is specifically ignored in the source code. We even have a special routine that gradually decreases height above ground when you run off a high cliff.

TBH adding flight to the game would be pretty easy. Not trivial but definitely not too hard to do.

Whether we would actually want to do so is a completely different question as it would introduce a whole new set of potential problems, primarily related to the fact that we have individual maps rather than a continuous world.

It wouldn't be all that hard to switch to swimming mode when in water. It would require a lot of new game mechanics and animations but technically not too difficult.

I have to say though, I agree with Shid0x. Running through water and pretty much ignoring it is one of the features that I always liked about Rose

If flight is actually possible like you said we defintly need brooms, brooms with rockets on them, flying carpets, dragons and giant eagles.

Edit:

Just read this on the FAQ
"Will there be flying mounts?
ROSE on a technical level does not support z-axis movement. In the very far future after an engine swap this could be a thing."

Edited by Winniethenoob

ROSE on a technical level does not support z-axis movement.

Yes it does. All positional data sent into the graphics engine (znzin) includes X, Y and Z positions.

TRose code specifically sets all the Z to ground level before refreshing the graphics on every cycle. As I said before we have a function that allows players to gradually fall to ground level when they run off a cliff. This is the only place (that I have come across) in the trose code where it ever sends in a non-ground level Z position. 

For a few seconds you are effectively flying. All we would need to do is to bypass the fall function and you would just keep walking at the same level through the sky. I've tried it. Comment out one function call, recompile and you are flying

Edited by PurpleYouko
reworded a phrase
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 10:03 AM, OwlchemistVile said:

It would be possible if the game had a Y-axis to detect height, but it doesn't. Since the water level is usually at a set height, anything under set height would count as under-water. Though they have varied heights of water in some maps like Anima and Adventure Plains, where you'd need to have the above stated collision detection. You could arguably use a proximity check / second that applies a stack status, but not all water is in perfectly round bodies, so you'd need custom dimensions, IE, again the hit-box collision.

Personally, I'd take it a step further, and say if you went deep enough you'd be "swimming". 

Z axis. not Y

On 2/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, Minkja said:

I'll have to echo others and say that water having zero effect on movement was one of the things I loved. I wouldn't have it any other way haha

I reckon we could have some deep water where swimming/floating/being slowed by water could be a thing, e.g. Sunshine Coast. It could lead to some interesting fights if you're hunting treasure in the deeps and both your as and ms are slowed.

oO Yeah.... Dunno why I typed it that way looking at it. Height , Width, Depth. 
X: Abscissa / Width / Hortizontal
Y: Ordinate / Height / Vertical
Z: Applicate / Depth
Since Height as Width are not exactly interchangeable Vertical and Horizontal [Because they're used to describe distance between two points, not a single point along an axis.
However some programs use difference axis positioning from what I've experienced [which is annoying]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 3:32 AM, Trebor said:

about if your head goes underwater, and if you don't have a snorkel on, your HP will start going down?

Why should be be able to run or drive fast through water when it will actually slow a person or vehicle in real life.   No one can breath underwater either, so a snorkel would need to be worn on the character to keep breathing.    

😄

The slow is a good idea and we should think about how aquatic combat would work. Good idea; I like it. I feel like the drowning mechanic would work fine on planets controlled by Hebarn, not all water in general. This can add another wrinkle to the Arua vs Hebarn War, new combat factors never before seen! Why do I say this? Visitors are souls taken from the Sea of Souls by Arua Herself and given amortal bodies. We 'die' but respawn endlessly. We use mana and grow stronger by absorbing 'experience' (the souls of our fallen enemies?) We suffer neither hunger nor thirst. We don't even bleed normally. Basically, we're gods. There's no reason for us to drown in regular water. That said, remember that Arua can barely manifest safely on the friendly planet of Junon. Accordingly, even our divinity must have limits.

Edited by Bobbity
Basic formatting/clarity
  • Confused 1