Mana shield supportive buff (casted on other players)

Averybee24601

Considering the changes with cleric and Rednim wanting the class to be more active, I think it would be really cool, and support and enhance that idea if cleric got their own seperate version of Mana Shield that was cast able on other friendly players as a defensive support spell that sacrificed and used a good portion of the cleric's mana to shield and support a player (as it would be hard to make the clerics MP decrease depending on how much the player it was casted on is hit for) If it were a fixed amount, like for example drain  40% of the cleric's mana in return for 35% shield or something similar. And this spell is only for cleric, not muse as well and act's as a seperate support version of mana shield for muse. And of course they can still have that spell as well but they could not overlap the spells of course. I think this would also create more build diversity, and utilize stats, gears and gems more catered toward increasing max mana and mana consumption.

Thanks for reading, I'd love to know what you think about this idea. 

Cheers, Rosarians 🙂

Edited by Averybee24601
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey thank you for posting this amazing idea on the forum! Though I do not agree with this take, I think posting it on the forums makes it way better for a civilized discussion. 

I don't see a reason why I would prefer this shield over regular healing as current healing on a cleric is very underwhelming as far as I've seen. The heals also drain lots of mana. I guess it might be different when you're in endgame, but we haven't seen it yet. Maybe the general mana shield is a thing for in the future.

Kind regards,

Clown

@Clown I'm confused. Why would the shield replace the use of heals? This seems supplementary to me. And yes, some mana-rich clerics are really really hard to take down without being ganked, focused and burst down - and in the event of this occurring, it means the cleric has basically off-tanked so the party's main DPS remains unharmed. A glorious death, I'd say.  The heals also don't take as much mana in lategame as you think. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Bobbity said:

@Clown I'm confused. Why would the shield replace the use of heals? This seems supplementary to me. And yes, some mana-rich clerics are really really hard to take down without being ganked, focused and burst down - and in the event of this occurring, it means the cleric has basically off-tanked so the party's main DPS remains unharmed. A glorious death, I'd say.  The heals also don't take as much mana in lategame as you think. 

Hi Bob,

The shield would add an extra defensive layer which I deem unnecessary in most cases. I'd rather see heals balanced first.

Kinds regards,

Clown

47 minutes ago, Clown said:

Hey thank you for posting this amazing idea on the forum! Though I do not agree with this take, I think posting it on the forums makes it way better for a civilized discussion. 

I don't see a reason why I would prefer this shield over regular healing as current healing on a cleric is very underwhelming as far as I've seen. The heals also drain lots of mana. I guess it might be different when you're in endgame, but we haven't seen it yet. Maybe the general mana shield is a thing for in the future.

Kind regards,

Clown

Thanks for your feedback, I see what you mean, however it would not replace healing or try to do that in any means, infact it  would enhance healing more than anything, reducing the amount of heals needed. It'd be an applied shield buff used more in specific scenarios like for example if the cleric has an extra abundance of mana, and would sacrifice that mana to a 35% damage absorbtion shield. This could be casted on players whatever their health may be, and reduce the amount of heals needed and allow that you to focus on healing other players, and act as an extra pair of hands kind of. This would even make for more build diversity, utilizing stats to get your mana up and gems you maybe would not consider before. You may even find yourself using less mana due to not having to spam heal people as much since this is reducing your need of it so much.

Thanks a lot for reading. Cheers!

Edited by Averybee24601

• 1 month later...

I think the concept is fine, but it doesn't really fit with how the MP for the Cleric works currently. While the Mage is based on a big MP pool (through stacking Int and lots of multipliers), the Cleric doesn't actually have a lot of MP, but MP Regeneration instead (because of stacking Cha and the available passives+summons). This makes their Mana Shield pretty underwhelming (at least with a "standard" build). Just something to consider.

• Like 1

If you're worried about pvp balance as well as if the shield is just in general too weak, how about making it stronger for pvm? Some gear gives pvm defense bonuses, so how about the shield does the same thing? While it's active, the target gains 20% pvm defense for example.

edit: If it's possible to code, there could also be a 1 sp skill that gives the cleric the matching pvm bonus (though not the shield) while it remains active on the target, or it could give this benefit if you max the skill.

Edited by DoubleRose