Map relative level (effective level)

Cigojnar

I played some other MMORPGs and some of them are using so called effective levels.

It means your level is reduced according to the map you are currently in. That reduces your stats by some %, but not your skills.

It allows high level players to farm materials at low lvl maps and also help lower level players with kings, suggestions... Community develops. The good thing is also, that there are practically no empty maps.

I don't know if engine allows such manipulations, if not, just delete my post.

• Like 1

They did talk about this on stream how they where looking for ideas to combine high level and low lvl players and to make sure maps werent so empty after a while.

I like your idea, it will have alot of balancing issues. But it would also be hella funny to see both a lvl 5 visitor and a lvl 100 Raider farming jelly beans.

It does however take away 1 thing, wich is progress in my opinion, why am i playing and leveling if everything around me just scales to my level? Part of me is also playing because i want to feel like my levels mean something and make me stronger.

Now if we where to take a look at a old and classic MMORPG, Oldschool Runescape.

Monsters give fixed exp (sorta) and have fixed drop tables. This makes it so that i can always farm materials in the lower brackets should i need them, without giving me any exp wich is noteworthy. it also makes me feel powerfull being able to one shot everything while still collecting loot.

Now Runescape is filled with bots because of this, and Runescape also doesnt have AoE attacks like Rose. 

so my solution wouldnt have stat reduction but would come with a whole new set of problems..

I still like the idea.

I'm not a fan, this makes every map feels the same and absolutely breaks any feeling of power and accomplishment you might have.
World of Warcraft did it a few years ago and the frustration this brought was a truly unpleasant feeling.

As far a re-rolling a character to farm some stuff its part of what makes Rose imo.

Edited by Shid0x
  • Like 1

"It does however take away 1 thing, wich is progress in my opinion, why am i playing and leveling if everything around me just scales to my level? Part of me is also playing because i want to feel like my levels mean something and make me stronger."

It doesn't scale up, just down. That means you are leveling to reach higher level maps, higher level gear. 😃

It doesn't need to break the feeling of power and acomplishement because as maxed char with high level gear even when scaled down to e.g. lvl20  you are much stronger then regular lvl20 char with lvl20 gear and skills.

Not trying to push anything, it's just sad, how Junon maps were completely empty after some time and by my opinion Junon planet was cherry on top of the cake 🤩

Edited by Cigojnar
  • Like 1

I usually like this system, but it would definitely hurt in ROSE Online when farming lower level bosses for materials. Since first hit/most damage gets the drop, people with the proper level would always be left without drops.

Unless mobs give seperate drops per person, this system just does not work for ROSE.

I'm not a fan, this makes every map feels the same and absolutely breaks any feeling of power and accomplishment you might have.
World of Warcraft did it a few years ago and the frustration this brought was a truly unpleasant feeling.

I don't think WOW did a very good job there. Guildwars 2 did it very well though.

The thing is that this concept only levels down higher level players in low level maps. It doesn't allow lower levels to get boosted up for higher level maps so you still get that feeling of accomplishment when you make it to a new map and are able to actually survive there.

I've thought about ways to implement this concept in Rose for years and I'm pretty sure I know how to make it work. Haven't actually tested it yet though.

8 hours ago, Cigojnar said:

I played some other MMORPGs and some of them are using so called effective levels.

It means your level is reduced according to the map you are currently in. That reduces your stats by some %, but not your skills.

It allows high level players to farm materials at low lvl maps and also help lower level players with kings, suggestions... Community develops. The good thing is also, that there are practically no empty maps.

I don't know if engine allows such manipulations, if not, just delete my post.

I do not think this would fit with rose online maybe other mmos, sounds kinda crappy to punish players for entering certain maps so don’t think I’d ever play a game with this feature but to each their own I guess 

4 minutes ago, Avery said:

I do not think this would fit with rose online maybe other mmos, sounds kinda crappy to punish players for entering certain maps so don’t think I’d ever play a game with this feature but to each their own I guess 

It's not there to punish them. 

The point is to make it possible for them to go back to low level maps and still actually enjoy playing there. It also makes farming possible because ALL the monsters on ALL the maps will still drop loot.

Where is the fun in bringing a high level character to Breezy Hills? or Zant? They one-shot everything. They get no XP. They get no drops.

If you were scaled down to a reasonable approximation of level 15 or so then you could get drops and actually have some fun taking part in level limited quests

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PurpleYouko said:

Where is the fun in bringing a high level character to Breezy Hills? or Zant? They one-shot everything. They get no XP. They get no drops.

If you were scaled down to a reasonable approximation of level 15 or so then you could get drops and actually have some fun taking part in level limited quests

Thanks for following me, exactly what I was trying to say 😄

I dislike getting scaled down, simply because I love to slaughter through aplains. Also if you're a cleric your buffs will be significantly nerfed. So much, that there'll a cleric hotspot in goblin cave where the low levels get the stronger buff and go back to aplains. That'll destroy the new "more fast pacing" idea. Quests and Events should be the reason a player comes back, not because he wants to farm lvl 10 mats.

But I like the Idea of fixed droptables even for higher levels, so that they could technically do that even with lvl 100.

6 hours ago, Ha1fisch said:

So much, that there'll a cleric hotspot in goblin cave where the low levels get the stronger buff and go back to aplains.

Well if it was to happen then it would have to be made such that existing buffs would also be scaled down too. There wouldn't be all that much advantage in this cleric hot spot happening really.

I do understand your point about enjoying one-shotting the monsters in APlains but I don't think that is a good enough reason to not scale levels down when so many benefits could be had from doing so.

If we are to have any kind of events which are open for noobie players on the lower level maps then it's kind of unfair to them if a level 100 dude comes along and starts mass killing everything in sight. Otherwise we are saying that only high level players can get in on the events. In what universe is that fair?

• Like 1