Boss Logs and Achievements

Wondertje

I would love to see some kind of boss log. A place where you can see which bosses you've killed, how many of a specific boss you've killed and potentially even a drop log for that boss to see which unique items you've dropped. As a completionist player this would add another layer to the gameplay that would hurt no one but add to those of us who are completionists - and a lot of people are which is why these things are so popular in games to begin with, alongside achievements which I'd also like to see.

Developers could make these aspects of the game as easy or difficult as they want. Some games have extremely grindy achievements and logs, others focus on more easily obtainable ones. I personally love grinding and working hard for achievements and logs - but that's just me.

Edited by Wondertje
  • Like 5

I love the idea of straight-forward (and preferably not so grindy) achievements. I believe such achievements also give players the feeling/emphasize that they are progressing in the game (on top of lvling and questing).

Small, cosmetic or fun rewards could be handed out if a series of similar achievements have been completed (e.g. killed all kings/bosses in Junon) which also gives end-gamers an incentive to kill weak bosses and go back to low-lvl places. Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be fun if kings'/bosses' defense/dodge/magic defense could alter depending who's attacking it. What's the point in having an end-gamer kill all bosses in Junon with 2-3 auto attack hits?

I'm not so much of a fan with regard to the boss log. I believe we should be careful putting too much information/data out which only has limited purpose. What I love about ROSE is that it is simple and very straight-forward to play/understand. Too much information/windows with data can be quite overwhelming for (new) players imo.

Edited by Guppi

6 hours ago, Guppi said:

I'm not so much of a fan with regard to the boss log. I believe we should be careful putting too much information/data out which only has limited purpose. What I love about ROSE is that it is simple and very straight-forward to play/understand. Too much information/windows with data can be quite overwhelming for (new) players imo.

I definitely agree we should avoid making it overwhelming. Most simple solution I can think of is that you don't unlock the feature until you're level x, say 50 or so, and have a better grasp of the game. From experience though, even when playing very information heavy games *cough* Runescape 😛 *cough* it really doesn't take all that long, and people usually gladly help explain things on their Discord/In-game chats.

10 hours ago, Guppi said:

I love the idea of straight-forward (and preferably not so grindy) achievements. I believe such achievements also give players the feeling/emphasize that they are progressing in the game (on top of lvling and questing).

Small, cosmetic or fun rewards could be handed out if a series of similar achievements have been completed (e.g. killed all kings/bosses in Junon) which also gives end-gamers an incentive to kill weak bosses and go back to low-lvl places. Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be fun if kings'/bosses' defense/dodge/magic defense could alter depending who's attacking it. What's the point in having an end-gamer kill all bosses in Junon with 2-3 auto attack hits?

I think achievements in general would be a great addition to the game, even made a topic about it back when the forum first opened and there could definitely be achievements for killing specific mobs/kings.  At titan, we had player titles that were connected to the achievement system so while you did not get any actual "reward",  using different titles was a way to kind of show off what you had accomplished. Cosmetic items could also be given ofc. 

As for boss logs though, a lot depends on what changes, if any, are made to kings.  Currently they are pretty impossible to kill unless you are max level with few exceptions.  I'm also curious how a boss log would work if the boss is killed by a party or a bunch of random people who are fighting it.  Would last hit get the credit? Or first hit? Most damage?  Even if the devs take the kings back to how they used to be in iROSE (which has not been mentioned by the team btw), the question of how kill credit would be calculated and distributed is still valid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HoneyBuns said:

player titles

Titles are great! Totally should've mentioned that, thanks for that addition!

1 hour ago, HoneyBuns said:

Would last hit get the credit? Or first hit? Most damage?

Since bossing is a bit different in ROSE compared to other games it would have to be thought about exactly how it'd work. I wouldn't mind seeing a party all getting the log if they've been part of doing damage. I think a boss log that only gives cosmetics/titles would be much up to the player if they want to play it 'legit' or not. If someone wants to run around and snipe boss logs by doing one damage and leaving that's on them ruining their own log. It's possible in most games to cheese it, but most people aren't assholes about it and it really only ruins their own logs. It would quickly be obvious who does it properly and who doesn't. For dungeon bosses the rewards would be given to the entire group once the boss dies.

All of that is up for debate though, I'm not at all sure what the best solution for rewarding boss logs would be, but I absolutely believe it's a solvable problem.

EDIT: For item reward log it could easily be done that it only unlocks if the item drops with your name on it. So trading stuff wouldn't unlock someone's boss item log.

Edited by Wondertje