Jump to content

Character indicators for entire map


Avatar
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a possibility to make it where we can see character indicators from anywhere on the map. At least this way if I'm doing a quest for another map or just leveling up in a map that's rarely populated (ex: Breezy Hills, Anima Lake, Forest of Wisdom, etc) I can at least see if other players are there so I can attempt to party or have some communication. 

Currently we're only able to see these player indicators if we're within viewing distance of the player. A toggle would be preferable so others with slower PCs don't automatically suffer with lag. Another suggestion is to only show the indicator of an active player (no vending). 

Edited by Avatar
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Avatar changed the title to Character indicators for entire map

World of Warcraft has the Who-list feature for this purpose that could work for ROSE as well. It's quite simple to use.
https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Who_List

Could work like: /who "breezy hills" and then you get a list who is in Breezy Hills. In WoW  it works with classes or levels too. So for ROSE it will be like /who muse to get all muses or /who 200-250 to get all players between level 200 and 250.

But as this is quite handy to have, it won't be a feature that will be used often. So it doesn't require a big overhaul to the game. Just a simple output to the chat or in a seperate window would be enough.

Edited by Zeror
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zeror said:

World of Warcraft has the Who-list feature for this purpose that could work for ROSE as well. It's quite simple to use.
https://wowwiki-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Who_List

Could work like: /who "breezy hills" and then you get a list who is in Breezy Hills. In WoW  it works with classes or levels too. So for ROSE it will be like /who muse to get all muses or /who 200-250 to get all players between level 200 and 250.

But as this is quite handy to have, it won't be a feature that wil used often. So it doesn't require a big overhaul to the game. Just a simple output to the chat or in a seperate window would be enough.

IIRC GM's already had a command build in like this. Not as detailed, but it did give information on the amount of players active in the current map.

Edited by Thystro
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like this idea, and it seems like it'd be relatively easy to change. One thing I would suggest is for players to be able to turn it off and instead show in normal range, similar to how you can disable trades, whispers, etc. Some players don't want to be easily found or seeked out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Sneaux said:

I like this idea, and it seems like it'd be relatively easy to change. One thing I would suggest is for players to be able to turn it off and instead show in normal range, similar to how you can disable trades, whispers, etc. Some players don't want to be easily found or seeked out.

Ah yeah, I hadn’t considered that. A “hide” feature of sorts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't want players to show up on my map unless it are party members. I mean in cities, like Junon Polis, the map wouldn't be readable at all. Even an hide option is a bad idea. Not everything has to be tracked with that precise. WoW feature to have just a list of players present in a map is best solution. You can see how crowded it is by looking at the list. You don't need more then that. Not everything should be on the map.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Zeror said:

I wouldn't want players to show up on my map unless it are party members. I mean in cities, like Junon Polis, the map wouldn't be readable at all. Even an hide option is a bad idea. Not everything has to be tracked with that precise. WoW feature to have just a list of players present in a map is best solution. You can see how crowded it is by looking at the list. You don't need more then that. Not everything should be on the map.

Implementing both ideas would be great, but if you don't want players showing up on your map, just disable it. Junon would be no different in terms of going into the actual city center and having all those dots (including vendors) in view. 

I would argue that the map should include players and not some list. You want people to be motivated to head to that direction. I shouldn't have to type something in the chat to see other players, they should be visible on the map, that's why the map is there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Avatar said:

I would argue that the map should include players and not some list. You want people to be motivated to head to that direction. I shouldn't have to type something in the chat to see other players, they should be visible on the map, that's why the map is there. 

What's wrong with a little search on the map? Not everything has to be spelled out. There is no fun in that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not both? Seeing players highlighted on the mini-map is wonderful for reasons beyond the tactical, but we should have options other than that. Rightly said, searching on the map is less invasive and more 'normal', more immersive.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Zeror said:

What's wrong with a little search on the map? Not everything has to be spelled out. There is no fun in that.

Umm okay, we’ll just agree to disagree on this one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could agree to this map thing if this feature should have at least the following two possibilities.

  1. Like we all agree: Show/Hide all the dots on the map.
    Maybe with the options (check on/off what you want):
    1. Show all players
    2. Show Clan Members
    3. Show Friends
    4. Show Party Members
  2. I would like to have the ability to exclude myself from this system. So i won't show up on the map.
    With the options (check on/off what you want. All off = hide for everyone )
    1. Show my location for everyone
    2. Show my location to Clan
    3. Show my location to Friends

Note: When in a party, your location should always be known towards the party. You can hide the party member's dots on the map for yourself though.

Note 2: The dots-system (except Party Members and Clan Members for Clan Field) should be disabled on PvP maps, Clan Fields, Union War-maps, etc... Maps where PvP is involved.

The reason why is because i think it's important to have an opt-out in this system. Players might want to this because of privacy reasons, like a way to play without interruption by other players. And also because this give extra possibilities to play the game.

Edited by Zeror
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/21/2022 at 12:44 AM, Zeror said:

I wouldn't want players to show up on my map unless it are party members. I mean in cities, like Junon Polis, the map wouldn't be readable at all. Even an hide option is a bad idea. Not everything has to be tracked with that precise. WoW feature to have just a list of players present in a map is best solution. You can see how crowded it is by looking at the list. You don't need more then that. Not everything should be on the map.

If you don't want the said feature, you can have it disabled. You don't need to disagree to an idea just because you don't like it. This feature can come with flexibility to cater those who want and those who don't want.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RoseOnPlayer said:

If you don't want the said feature, you can have it disabled. You don't need to disagree to an idea just because you don't like it. This feature can come with flexibility to cater those who want and those who don't want.

Not agree with this. A feature can be nice to have, but a feature must also fit with the game. And i think that seeing all players as dots on a map does not fit in the game. I would say even gamebreaking as it could give players an unnessesary advantage.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zeror said:

Not agree with this. A feature can be nice to have, but a feature must also fit with the game. And i think that seeing all players as dots on a map does not fit in the game. I would say even gamebreaking as it could give players an unnessesary advantage.

None of this was meant for PVP environments. This is strictly for PVE content. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Zeror said:

Not agree with this. A feature can be nice to have, but a feature must also fit with the game. And i think that seeing all players as dots on a map does not fit in the game. I would say even gamebreaking as it could give players an unnessesary advantage.

Well this is not meant for PvP zones at all. It's so convenient to know if a leveling spot is already taken, or if you want to see were people are to join a party. It gives even "emptier" maps a sense of activity just seeing some active little dots 🙂 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In truth, there is PvP advantage to seeing both allies, enemies and unaligned hostile units on the mini-map (ref. the MOBA genre and related games) to varying degrees of granularity. However, I don't feel that our PvP has developed to this level of maturity as yet. This has clear value for PvE though, and I support the concept behind the suggestion. That all said, this isn't high priority for implementation and does take something from immersion. It would make sense to restrict this ability somehow. Maybe a clan skill? I'm not sure if this affects gameplay enough that having it as an IM skill would be p2w.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...