The Appraisal System

Nephenthos

The Appraisal system has always felt a bit weird for me. the appraisal stats can be SO good that a lvl 10 item could be better than a lvl 100 item just because it has the perfect appraisal.

of course getting that same appraisal on a lvl 100 item would be better but that means its also harder to get.

IMO the Appraisal possiblities should get stronger the higher level the item.

what do you people think about this?

Personally I think the entire "extra stats" system is kinda shitty. It works in a really bizarre way.

These appraisal stats can be assigned to an item by means of a "gem" variable at the base level. This value reads from LIST_JEMITEM.STB to get the actual stat values which are displayed. That's why when you add a gem to the item it removes the extra stat value. Terrible idea and easily fixed to be fair.

The first 300 values (0 - 299) of that STB just contain various stat combinations in no particular order so controlling which ones to use on low or high level items is pretty much impossible. values 300 and up represent a Gem that has been added to the item.

Once again; If you add a gem to an item you will overwrite the extra stat value because they take up the exact same position in the items data

It is a relatively easy thing to do to add an extra pair of stat values to the basic item structure. Instead of using a fixed set of values from an STB we can make them infinitely variable. Stat1 type, Stat1 value, Stat2 type and Stat 2 value. That way the appraisal system could be used for those stats rather than for the gem stats. it would be relativel easy to write a function in the code that will limit any initial values based on the relative value of the dropped item, It would also be possible to add a method of refining these stats using (craftable maybe) refining tools or runes or whatever or at an NPC. The possibilities are endless and it's way more versatile.

The down side of this system: There is no easy way for a player to add an item with such a specific type of stat onto a shop wishlist.

The Hardened White Knight Gun with 100 CON and 75 AP extra stats that you want to buy might not actually exist in the entire world. What happens when somebody has one but it only has 73 AP? It would require a complete rethink of the wish list system for personal shops. Possibly the way items are auto-priced too.

I think it's doable but not without a few problems.

PS I have some pictures of items with this system already working on my test rig on my PC at work. I can post a few images when I get back to work on Tuesday 😆

• Like 1

"Once again; If you add a gem to an item you will overwrite the extra stat value because they take up the exact same position in the items data"

@PurpleYouko You really assume too munch things are the same as early evo/v3xx 🤣

Everything you said is gone since 10 years even the STB name for gem x)

I'm more worried about game balancing if we can have appraisal stat + gem on a game where there is already too many additional value and where you can destroy your opponent in 0.5sec but I'll make some tests at time 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Garnet said:

"Once again; If you add a gem to an item you will overwrite the extra stat value because they take up the exact same position in the items data"

@PurpleYouko You really assume too munch things are the same as early evo/v3xx 🤣

Everything you said is gone since 10 years even the STB name for gem x)

I'm more worried about game balancing if we can have appraisal stat + gem on a game where there is already too many additional value and where you can destroy your opponent in 0.5sec but I'll make some tests at time 

Would a PvP damage reduction be an idea ? Where u only do like 25-50% of the dmg on PvP targets compared to PvE targets?

Edited by Nephenthos

6 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Yes that's a possibility 🙂

PVM and PVP will probably need to live in their own world at some point, by trying to balance both while keeping everything the same we end to not balance anything

Would love to crunch some numbers on this one. See if i can make something usefull. 

Na ROSE changed sub-stats to a tier based system a few years before closing.
Grade 1 cannot roll max stat, and therefore the situation where a level 1 item can be better than a level 100 item no longer holds true, especially post stats like defense and dodge scaling higher value totals for the stat curves compared to iRose and very early Evo [from 10 years ago.]

In addition, you have blank scrolls which destroy an item, and can transfer the sub-stats to an equal or higher grade items, but never lower grade. Meaning you need a Grade 5? or higher item to roll max sub-stats, but that item can never transfer it's sub-stats via blank scroll to a grade 1, for balance purposes. 

I'm starting to become incredibly uneasy about how few people seemed to actually be familiar with the version of the game the Dev's have, as most mentions of systems are at best 5+ years old it seems, and severely outdated. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 8:51 AM, OwlchemistVile said:

Na ROSE changed sub-stats to a tier based system a few years before closing.
Grade 1 cannot roll max stat, and therefore the situation where a level 1 item can be better than a level 100 item no longer holds true, especially post stats like defense and dodge scaling higher value totals for the stat curves compared to iRose and very early Evo [from 10 years ago.]

In addition, you have blank scrolls which destroy an item, and can transfer the sub-stats to an equal or higher grade items, but never lower grade. Meaning you need a Grade 5? or higher item to roll max sub-stats, but that item can never transfer it's sub-stats via blank scroll to a grade 1, for balance purposes. 

I'm starting to become incredibly uneasy about how few people seemed to actually be familiar with the version of the game the Dev's have, as most mentions of systems are at best 5+ years old it seems, and severely outdated. 

Completely agree, specially with your last part.

On 1/15/2022 at 3:51 PM, OwlchemistVile said:

you might have a point here. im Very familier with ROSE except for like the last 2 years of the game development. at a certain point a stopped playing because i had the feeling that ROSE was straying to far away from what i imagined it should be.

so Thanks for clearing that up for me 🙂