Don't restrict crafting materials to certain level ranges.

Mizore

Anyone who has played an Artisan will know that acquiring materials could often be frustrating.  Not because of scarcity due to drop rate. But because often times a material you're looking for only drops from monsters in a certain level range, and if you were a high enough level, you were either stuck with buying those materials at very often ridiculous prices, or creating a separate character who stayed within a certain level range just to farm materials. I'd hope to see this changed if only so the same economic bottleneck doesn't appear and drive up prices.

As far as how it could be done, there's probably more than a few approaches. The easiest of which I'd assume would be adding materials to the drop tables of monsters throughout the games level range. My hope is that between myself and other forum members, someone will have and ideal implementation method. Please feel free to share your thoughts. 🙂

• Like 2

Dropping the restriction on those level ranges is quite a big deal for the game, cause some rare to find stuff might not be as rare anymore and thus it might alter the economy of the game completely. But i don't think that's a bad thing. For example the materials for Butterfly Wings. All of them are gotten from low level monsters, but as a high level player you can't get it that easy other then trading. Dropping the level range on the drops makes Butterfly Wings much better acquirable for low level players, as it should be.

Edited by Zeror
  • Like 1

I like that rare mats only drop from higher level mobs and I also wouldn't want to constantly get low level mats from killing difficult endgame mobs. So while I understand your frustration, making drops random regardless of mob level doesn't sound like a fun experience for everyone else besides Artisans. I like Andramias' suggestion that you could just buy low level gear and dissemble them for mats. This will also help keep the prices of mats at a reasonable level.

• Like 1

This is the current drop table.  It might help explain how the drop system worked in NA.  I'm not sure what changes will be made since the Rednim team does not want any p2w aspects so there will not be the drop tier medals or drop boosts on costumes but I have been playing as an alpha tester and I can say that the drops in general have been decent.  Artisans always hoard drops (or at least I always do) and there is no problem saving enough to do basic crafting.  There are also materials available from NPC's  and in the Valor Shop.

In general, the materials needed for crafting the highest level items drop on Orlo.  Mats can still also be gotten by disassembling tho I feel that system needs some work since you don't always get back mats that were needed for crafting that item. You do, however, get blades and stones that are needed for crafting reinforced gear. so changing that will involve a lot of different factors and not something simple to do.

One thing I would love to see implemented is batch crafting.   It would make life so much easier for artisans that mass craft things like potions or to try to get better stats on items.  Hopefully it can be added at some point 🤞

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 8:04 AM, Sui said:

I like that rare mats only drop from higher level mobs and I also wouldn't want to constantly get low level mats from killing difficult endgame mobs. So while I understand your frustration, making drops random regardless of mob level doesn't sound like a fun experience for everyone else besides Artisans. I like Andramias' suggestion that you could just buy low level gear and dissemble them for mats. This will also help keep the prices of mats at a reasonable level.

As long as more common materials are obtainable in some manner i'd be cool with that too. I do however remember certain materials for things such as cart parts only dropping from monsters in certain level ranges (golem's if I'm remembering correctly). Things like that, where the only source of a material is level locked at a point where continuing to level locks you out of obtaining crafting mats, is more of what I'm concerned about.

Edited by Mizore

1 hour ago, Mizore said:

As long as more common materials are obtainable in some manner i'd be cool with that too. I do however remember certain materials for things such as cart parts only dropping from monsters in certain level ranges (golem's if I'm remembering correctly). Things like that, where the only source of a material is level locked at a point where continuing to level locks you out of obtaining crafting mats, is more of what I'm concerned about.

Cart and Castle Gear parts don't drop from monsters but they are in the Valor Shop (including the schematics) and there are lots of repeatable quests you can do to earn valor points- plus the dungeons and daily dungeon quests. Earning valor points takes some effort but it's very doable.

I think i would go for a solution that is close to how ROSE's droprates work and that there is always a chance to drop from a monster. Based on the monster diffilculty levels there will be an increase or a decrease on the default drop chance. So for example:

• Purple: Extremely hard. Increased drop chance of 125%. If normally an item's drop chance is 10%, then it's 12.5% on this difficulty.
  • Red: Very hard. Increased drop chance of 115%. If normally an item's drop chance is 10%, then it's 11.5% on this difficulty.
  • Orange: Moderate/hard. Increased drop chance of 105%. If normally an item's drop chance is 10%, then it's 10.5% on this difficulty.
  • Yellow: Default difficulty. Drop chance of 100% = normal.
  • Green: Easy. Drop chance is 80%. If normally an item's drop chance is 10%, then it's 8% on this difficulty.
  • Blue: Weak. Decreased drop chance of 65%. If normally an item's drop chance is 10%, then it's 6.5% on this difficulty.
  • White: Very weak. Decreased drop chance of 50%. If normally an item's drop chance is 10%, then it's 5% on this difficulty.
Edited by Zeror
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As an artisan player I can say...
I never had problems to find crafting materials. I only had problems to craft one item at a time... 😛

But a more diversified drop table from different corners on the various maps will be nice... So I don't have to open a shop to buy denim every time I want to craft a Magic Cube... >_>

Or another radical solution... a list market where you can put the goods, so the player can buy/sell from a npc in the city... something like the system in Albion Online...
The only downside of this system is the fact that ppl will not need to place a shop and the cities will look more empty... unless the devs fills the empty spaces with more npcs and other stuff... 😛

11 hours ago, Nadwin said:

I never had problems to find crafting materials. I only had problems to craft one item at a time... 😛

But a more diversified drop table from different corners on the various maps will be nice... So I don't have to open a shop to buy denim every time I want to craft a Magic Cube... >_>

Or another radical solution... a list market where you can put the goods, so the player can buy/sell from a npc in the city... something like the system in Albion Online...
The only downside of this system is the fact that ppl will not need to place a shop and the cities will look more empty... unless the devs fills the empty spaces with more npcs and other stuff... 😛

The shop is a mandatory part of the game imho.  That's what binds players together, and brings joy to cities...  Removing those would essentially kill all the MMO part of the game.  Any idea that involves a buyout from a NPC / Auction House should be excluded imho.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:15 AM, Malak said:

The shop is a mandatory part of the game imho.  That's what binds players together, and brings joy to cities...  Removing those would essentially kill all the MMO part of the game.  Any idea that involves a buyout from a NPC / Auction House should be excluded imho.

I could see both working if it was a system where the npc searched shops for an item and then either gave you the location or let you buy remotely for a premium.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:03 PM, Mizore said:

I could see both working if it was a system where the npc searched shops for an item and then either gave you the location or let you buy remotely for a premium.

This works too...

And also offline shops... Because the energy bill is not the same as 10yrs ago... letting a gaming rig running 24/7 is not a good idea nowadays... :DeadBean:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 9:55 PM, Nadwin said:

This works too...

And also offline shops... Because the energy bill is not the same as 10yrs ago... letting a gaming rig running 24/7 is not a good idea nowadays... :DeadBean:

Offline shops should be time limited because else the game will be full of shops from people who quit playing or only log in once per month. 24h offline vending should be the limit, maybe allowing longer with some IM items or something.

Edited by Sui
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 2:03 AM, Mizore said:

I personally am against features that give premium users too much advantages. Buying remotely is one of those things.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:57 PM, Zeror said:

For example the materials for Butterfly Wings. All of them are gotten from low level monsters, but as a high level player you can't get it that easy other then trading. Dropping the level range on the drops makes Butterfly Wings much better acquirable for low level players, as it should be.

I never had an issue with getting the materials for the Butterfly Wings, and it was usually one of the first things I went for. What is the reason you say it needs to be more acquirable for low level players. I personally found it the opposite. It was easy, and took little time, to farm for materials and craft yourself. But when I was level 100+ if I wanted them for my collection I had to buy them from a low level player, which also was a good source of income in the beginning of the game. I think I'm just a bit confused by this statement.

----

I too, am against features that give premium users large advantages, but I'm pretty sure they've already said they don't want that so I don't think that would be a problem. They want premium features to be cosmetic/slight advantages unless I misunderstood the FAQ 😛

The ROSE drop system (the one you mentioned further up) is probably my favourite drop system out of all I've played with. It was easy, you look at a mobs world/area table, you look up their drop table on the wiki and you look at the name of their color (which was based on your level), the higher the level difference, the higher the chance of a good drop table loot. It's so simple and intuitive.

I also believe that removing the materials level connection will negatively impact new players. Playing as a new player and getting hundreds of furs from woopies was a way to make money in the beginning, by selling it to higher level artisans in Zant who needed it for crafting. Removing this rather important economy feature would have negative effects on the money making opportunities for new players.

Edited by Wondertje
Grammar

On 5/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, Nadwin said:

Exactly why I made this suggestion.  You would still be crafting items one at a time but you wouldn't have to use a ton of clicks  😄

But as for the material drops, I linked the current drop system a few posts above in this topic.  That's how drops are on the client the devs bought and are working with.  Generally things like fur are map drops tho that is affected by planet to a degree, it's not like you have to farm a specific monster to get a specific drop.  Any mob around your level on a given map can drop those items along with others depending on the classification of the monster and the family.

Some changes will most likely have to be made since drops in NA were influenced by bonuses on costumes, drop medals, clan passives and having premium but I honestly can't imagine them scrapping the whole system.  Remember also that most common drops are available in the Valor Shop and from disassembling and from some NPC's. You can earn valor points from quests you get in Junon Polis so there are definitely many options to get mats in addition to getting them as monster drops. 

We really need to see what other changes or modifications are made to the basic game to determine what will be valuable.  The economy will undoubtedly change as time goes on too.  

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 4:48 AM, Zeror said:

I personally am against features that give premium users too much advantages. Buying remotely is one of those things.

For a premium is an expression. I meant you'd pay a fee in zuly.

A good way to handle this situation would be to restrict certain drop tiers to certain level monsters, but still allow players to receive those drops, even if they're outside of the level range. Maybe reduce the drop rate, relative to how much you're above the range of the monster you're killing, but still allow the drops, nonetheless.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is probably far too much work to appease this issue, but you could also introduce instanced dungeons on each planet, that scale with the level of the character, and you can farm the instanced version of those mobs which have a unique loot table which have a chance to drop the lower level mats aswell as higher level gear / mats etc..

9 hours ago, il said:

instanced dungeons on each planet, that scale with the level of the character

This should be its own suggestion if it isn't already. Having dungeons and instances that scale respectively is a great way to let everyone enjoy Pvp/Dungeon/Etc, without forcing people to rush to max level. If there could be unique farming, even better. Single player and multiplayer scaled instances would be awesome - and could solve the farming thing.