Map Exploration, Settlements, and Quests

Sneaux

Greetings, Visitors!

Let me start off by saying the purpose of this suggestion is to encourage player exploration of each map, provide convenient NPC locations in every map for things like buying foods/potions/ammo, refining, storage, etc., and increase the amount of available Quests and Lore Building. ROSE Online's maps are generally pretty awesome, but lots of them are quickly passed over or ignored entirely.

1. Every map gets a "Settlement" area. These Settlement areas function like small villages. Think of the village in Breezy Hills and you understand what I mean. These Settlements would include various NPCs that are unlocked through Questing.
    1. Some maps already have areas like this, such as the one mentioned in Breezy Hills. Maps that do not have areas like this would be modified to include them.
    2. Maps that have existing villages (like Breezy) that are not main city areas (like Zant, Junon, Eucar, etc.) would be redesigned to function this way.
  2. The first NPC available, with no Questing required, is a food/potion/ammo Merchant. The quality of items depends largely on which map the NPC is on, increasing in quality for higher level maps. Quality of items sold is also dependent on the "level" of the Settlement, based on the player's Quest completion for that map.
  3. Every map has a line of Quests for the Settlement that allow players to expand or improve the NPC availability in the Settlement.
  4. Fully unlocked or "leveled" Settlements would have NPCs for storage, food/potions/scrolls/ammo, repairing, disassembling, and refining.
    1. Fully unlocked Settlements may also have new Quests available that aren't related to expanding/improving the Settlement. These could be new, self-contained story arcs that would greatly aid in Quest availability and Lore Building.
  5. Every map would have a warp scroll available that would take players to its Settlement area. These areas could serve as convenient locations for Player Shops as well!
    1. Settlement warp scrolls would only be sold in the Settlement they are for. To buy Breezy Hills scrolls, you would need to visit Breezy Hills or buy them from another player.
  6. Quest amount, length, and errand would depend on the map. Most Quests would involve exploration, monster extermination, or resource gathering to secure and upgrade the Settlement areas.
  7. Allow players to choose a Union to support after they receive their First Job because...
  8. Unions would have Union Representatives in each Settlement that offer a daily Union Quest for that map.
  9. Every map's Union Reps have a smaller Union Point shop that offers level-appropriate Union Rewards for the map they're on. This could range from level-appropriate Blue gear to monster-themed cosmetics.
  10. Every map gets some map design love by adding new areas to explore, partial redesigns, or increasing the level of decoration on each map.
    1. A great example of this would be to redesign the Junon Polis map by moving the city itself to the south border of the map and repopulating the north and west parts of the map with more fields and monster zones. There is zero reason that the Junon Polis map should be 50% unusable water.
    2. Another good example would be making Forest of Wisdom actually feel like a forest map.
  11. Every map has Points of Interest that must be discovered by players. Players can fully explore (or "100%") a map to receive a small reward that could either be cosmetic items, a Zulie reward, materials, consumables, or a combination of them all. Reward quality depends on the difficulty of the map.
    1. This would be an easy way to add more interesting decorations and hidden areas to maps while also giving maps a reason to be explored fully.
    2. This also provides a purpose for higher level characters to revisit lower level areas.
  12. This suggestion would also give players a reason to visit every planet and every map to complete it for a character-specific Map Completion stat. When a character has completed every map's Settlement quest line and explored all the Points of Interest, they get a great reward in the form of special gear/cosmetics, materials, consumables, zulie, or a combination of them all.

Thanks for your time! Let me know what you think and where we could improve or build on this idea. I think it's an interesting idea that would only add to the game in the form of extra content that is 100% optional. If players don't care about completing a map, there's no pressure to do so. A huge inspiration for this idea is Guild Wars 2 and its map exploration and rewards system. I think it's a great system that could function well in a game like ROSE Online.

Edited by Sneaux
  • Like 8

From the first point of viewing the post dude (20% readed) 

Some problems are:

1. The atractive of ROSE is in the most, for me at least, the SPOTS, where you hunt for hours, yes is relaxing.

2.The maps have a "PLAIN" atractive, so you will find the same in almost the whole map.

The solution:

1.Combine the spots with the exploration, so meanwhile you do a quest, which must be automatic (fast giving), you can find "enhased spots" which will contain, for example more mobs, more drops, more chance to find kings or certain items, and this with an extended time(the  enhaced spot can be extended for hours), this can be part of the "interest points" (lol gw2) too not only from quest!

2.Make the posibility, on the settlement, to refine  or combine diferent "map resources" that you can find on "interest points" wich can be spreaded out the diferents types of I. points. For example at Luna, those high places, can give you "Luna starpiece" wich at the settlement can be refined to give yo a "blue crystal" or something else.

thanks.

Edited by Andramias
  • Like 1

I like this idea. Good thinking. This is something the game can absolutely use.

Oh, to expand on the idea: Beside the Union Representatives in the settlements there can be Union Settlements as well, where you can only profit from if you joined the Union. Like having a Arumic settlement for the Arumic union for example.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andramias said:

From the first point of viewing the post dude (20% readed) 

Some problems are:

1. The atractive of ROSE is in the most, for me at least, the SPOTS, where you hunt for hours, yes is relaxing.

2.The maps have a "PLAIN" atractive, so you will find the same in almost the whole map.

The solution:

1.Combine the spots with the exploration, so meanwhile you do a quest, which must be automatic (fast giving), you can find "enhased spots" which will contain, for example more mobs, more drops, more chance to find kings or certain items, and this with an extended time(the  enhaced spot can be extended for hours), this can be part of the "interest points" (lol gw2) too not only from quest!

2.Make the posibility, on the settlement, to refine  or combine diferent "map resources" that you can find on "interest points" wich can be spreaded out the diferents types of I. points. For example at Luna, those high places, can give you "Luna starpiece" wich at the settlement can be refined to give yo a "blue crystal" or something else.

thanks.

I like the idea of making monster spawns count as a "Point of Interest" for sure! I also like enhanced monster spawns being harder to get to or in unconventional spawn areas.

I can also see the fun in getting something like "Map Completion Points" as a resource that can be used as a currency to buy stuff like Blue Crystals, etc. Each point discovered OR each map completed could reward points that could be spent at a new NPC shop, maybe an "Explorer" or "Cartographer" NPC.

Thanks for your input! 🙂

Edited by Sneaux
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zeror said:

I like this idea. Good thinking. This is something the game can absolutely use.

Oh, to expand on the idea: Beside the Union Representatives in the settlements there can be Union Settlements as well, where you can only profit from if you joined the Union. Like having a Arumic settlement for the Arumic union for example.

I like the idea of Union settlements, but I worry they would end up taking up too much space. However, what about expanding the Union presence in Junon Polis and also adding little Union areas to every large city instead of Junon Polis only? I'm not sure how it was in late stage naROSE but I remember Unions only being a thing in Junon Polis mostly.

1 hour ago, Sneaux said:

I like the idea of Union settlements, but I worry they would end up taking up too much space. However, what about expanding the Union presence in Junon Polis and also adding little Union areas to every large city instead of Junon Polis only? I'm not sure how it was in late stage naROSE but I remember Unions only being a thing in Junon Polis mostly.

It depends on the definition of what you call a settlement. It can be small too. Like one or two tents and a campfire or something. A settlement doesn't always have to be big in games.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Zeror said:

It depends on the definition of what you call a settlement. It can be small too. Like one or two tents and a campfire or something. A settlement doesn't always have to be big in games.

The main Settlements I was envisioning the village in Breezy Hills, but you're right it could just be a few tents around a campfire. What would be the function or purpose of giving the Unions their own areas in each map? I love any idea expanding Unions so I'd love to hear more. I have a lot of Union related ideas I plan on posting in a separate topic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sneaux said:

The main Settlements I was envisioning the village in Breezy Hills, but you're right it could just be a few tents around a campfire. What would be the function or purpose of giving the Unions their own areas in each map? I love any idea expanding Unions so I'd love to hear more. I have a lot of Union related ideas I plan on posting in a separate topic.

I would not have each union have a settlement in each map. More that one union has a presence in one map, and another union has presence in another map. Arumics might have business in Forest of Wisdom, Ferrel Guild might have business in Kanji Beach and Righteous Crusaders might have business in Gorge of Silence for example. And i would add backtracking also to the union settlements, where one has to quest in another map to get something.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Zeror said:

I would not have each union have a settlement in each map. More that one union has a presence in one map, and another union has presence in another map. Arumics might have business in Forest of Wisdom, Ferrel Guild might have business in Kanji Beach and Righteous Crusaders might have business in Gorge of Silence for example. And i would add backtracking also to the union settlements, where one has to quest in another map to get something.

I see, that would be cool. As some examples, Arumic Researchers in Forest of Wisdom studying the tree with related Quests, Junon Order in Kenji Beach observing and recording Doonga and Krawfy movements with some stealth and intel oriented Quests, Righteous Crusaders in Gorge of Silence combating golem offensives and securing the village area, and Ferrell Merchants in Goblin Cave organizing supply and resource gathering operations.

This will make it into my Union suggestions post if you don't mind.

• Like 2