Map/Mini Map Improvement

Mewi

We already have access to maps of each zone that are infinitely more useful than the art that currently presents itself when pressing M.

• Upscale/higher resolution images of the maps currently visible in the Mini-map that you can zoom in/out with your mouse-wheel.
  • Ability to set markers (for heading to a spawn with your party)
  • Make sure all NPC's are accounted for - Quest markers also notable (both with quests available, and quests for turning in).
  • Add functionality to be able to see AND differentiate between party, clan, and friends on the zone you're currently in.
  • Markers for events and other map-content(i.e boss spawns or timed-events etc)

What about the Mini-map?
Would be easy enough for it to follow suit to the above mentioned improvements, but as a smaller quick-reference window. The purpose a mini-map should serve.

There's already an alternative mod to make the mini-map bigger which has been very welcome:

But implementing the suggestions above would be a be all, end all fix.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm complaining since game release about the lack of real UI this is an obvious add but there is some technical difficulties to make this possible because of how the UI code and such are limited.

Also even if i really want it, i'm not sure this is something that the ROSE community is really waiting for so not really a priority...

There is also the question of the Map UI itself, with the current UI limitation i'm not sure what is the best design for it yet.

Feel free to make suggestion!

Oh also, this is one of my map UIs:

image.png.2d62a19fda7c85310685a4c3b60d8e17.png

• Like 6

That honestly looks excellent (though anything over what we currently have does)
Might also be a good idea to include the quest log journal to the side of the map instead of the listed zones for the planet.

Having a look at WoW's map system would be an excellent source of inspiration. Right click to zoom out, left click to select an area map.

Also even if i really want it, i'm not sure this is something that the ROSE community is really waiting for so not really a priority...

Fair, but I think this kind of implementation would be aimed at new players. Safe to say that most players who end up playing for any length of time eventually find out where the spawns are and so on. If this is made convenient or easier for new players, it'll support incentive that they should stick around, as the game will be accessible and full of player comforts. 

You wouldn't have to know where spawns 1 or 2 are for pincer/neps farming for example, you could open your map and see a concentration of players there.

Just some thoughts anyway, I'd love to see expansion on this but like with most threads here, you're only going to find the same 5-10 people commenting and posting.  😞

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GodOfEntity said:

Hai that Junon is different than the Junon in the game 😮 
image.png.fafce8c717b62a93cbd0b1d3c6358e54.png

That's just classic garnet playing with different ROSE assets version haha i will replace it with a screenshot from our Junon version to avoid any confusion :)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Garnet said:

That's just classic garnet playing with different ROSE assets version haha i will replace it with a screenshot from our Junon version to avoid any confusion 🙂

Oh, I'm always confused regardless. I think it made me more curious than anything else. Is there a Junon re-work in the future!? 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 7:22 PM, Garnet said:

That's just classic garnet playing with different ROSE assets version haha i will replace it with a screenshot from our Junon version to avoid any confusion 🙂

Hi there!

Not to add to the burden but I was just curious, for example in the Valley of Luxem tower I think where there is no barrier in the side of the river but my character cannot jump in the water, however in some places where there is a visual barrier but the character can push through somehow...

I hope you would play and add a Black Sporty Cart too 😆

Edited by HLAJR

On 4/7/2023 at 8:14 AM, Garnet said:

I'm complaining since game release about the lack of real UI this is an obvious add but there is some technical difficulties to make this possible because of how the UI code and such are limited.

The way the current UI looks is ok. The way the UI is build up is ancient. I think it would be a good idea to rebuild the UI system for the game. Might be a lot of work, but you as developer and us as players will benefit from it. Current UI is clunky sometimes. UI should be one of the most important things that should work properly and flawless.

If you can make a UI system where you use border-texture and a background-image for a window. Buttons are just a container and button-content is just a font (including the X of a close button). And have both horizontal and vertical tab systems. Make as much UI elements of a window scalable and adjustable, etc.. etc... All texts should use a font that can be marked up (font size, colored, bold/italic, etc..). And for scalability it's important that all assets are at least 200% in size of what normally will be used. This also includes all of the icons for the items, which is a pain in the ass to do (i know).

But doing this way then the UI will be flexible and scalable and can be adjusted for each screensize. I know WoW's UI is build up like this and that works like charm.

There is also the question of the Map UI itself, with the current UI limitation i'm not sure what is the best design for it yet.

Feel free to make suggestion!

Oh also, this is one of my map UIs:

image.png.2d62a19fda7c85310685a4c3b60d8e17.png

Maybe you can do it like WoW does it. You can zoom out to the world map. Clicking on a zone on the world map, zooms in to that zones map. And maybe on the zone map you can click on the dungeon to 'zoom in' to the dungeons map. Use a breadcrumb-system to tell the player which map is opened and where they are (example: Junon > Adventure Plains > Goblin Cave). If a dungeon have different floors, use a seperate UI control to change the floors on the map window (with a dropdown for example).

Note: I am a UI/UX designer and if you guys need to, i can always give advice if needed.

Edited by Zeror
  • Thanks 1