[Tool] Install & update ROSE Online on Linux | Update ROSE Online on MacOS

snyke7

Hi! I've built some stuff which may be useful for those of you who use Linux or MacOS.

How to install & update ROSE Online on Linux, with Lutris

First, you need to install Lutris, a system for managing installs for Windows games. Get it here.
Once you have Lutris installed, run the following command in the terminal:

lutris lutris:rose-online-swamp-rose-installer

This will automatically download and run the installer, then update your game with the custom updater I built.

To update your game at a later time: Open Lutris > Right-click ROSE Online > Execute script. This will update your game in the background. There is currently no way to check the progress, so just wait a couple of minutes.

How to update ROSE Online on MacOS

The custom updater is available for MacOS as a Homebrew package. To install the updater, copy and paste the following command into your Terminal:

brew tap snyke7/swamp-rose-brew https://github.com/snyke7/swamp-rose-updater && brew install --cask --no-quarantine swamp_rose_updater

This will install a 'swamp_rose_updater' application into your Applications folder. You can either run it, and navigate to your ROSE Online folder, or drop this folder on top of the application. This will open a new Terminal window with information on how it is trying to update your ROSE Online installation. After it finishes, it should display 'ROSE Online is now up to date' at the bottom.

The '--no-quarantine' part is required for this to work. MacOS will otherwise flag the application as untrustworthy, and will strongly suggest you move it to the bin.

Troubleshooting and questions:

Spoiler
  • 'bash: brew: command not found' when installing the updater on MacOS:
    • You need to install Homebrew for this to work. Homebrew can manage such custom utilities for your Mac system. Learn how to install it here.
  • I use UI modifications, and do not want them to be updated.
    • You should put a file called 'no_update_list.txt' into your ROSE Online folder. Then, enter the paths of the files who you do not want the updater to update, one per line. For an example, see here.
  • I want to play ROSE Online on my Steam Deck.
    • There might be relevant info for you in this topic. I did not manage to get ROSE Online running directly through Steam, other people have.
  • Where can I find the source code of the updater?
    • You can find it on GitHub - the script itself, and the packaged binary versions for Linux and MacOS
  • Lutris & Linux: How can I dual client?
    • With Lutris open, right-click ROSE Online > Duplicate. You now have 'two' ROSE Online's, which you can launch separately.
  • Lutris & Linux: How can I login automatically?
    • This guide basically applies, except that we do not use Windows shortcuts. With Lutris open, right-click ROSE Online > Configure. Now navigate to the 'Game options' tab. Change the arguments to the shape found in the guide.

Edited by snyke7
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have a couple of friends who use to Play Rose on a PC, since then they don't have a PC, but a MAC now.

I see the part on how to update Rose, but is there something on how to install on a MAC?

Thank you.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:00 AM, snyke7 said:

Hi! I've built some stuff which may be useful for those of you who use Linux or MacOS.

How to update ROSE Online on MacOS

The custom updater is available for MacOS as a Homebrew package. To install the updater, copy and paste the following command into your Terminal:

brew tap snyke7/swamp-rose-brew https://github.com/snyke7/swamp-rose-updater && brew install --cask --no-quarantine swamp_rose_updater

This will install a 'swamp_rose_updater' application into your Applications folder. You can either run it, and navigate to your ROSE Online folder, or drop this folder on top of the application. This will open a new Terminal window with information on how it is trying to update your ROSE Online installation. After it finishes, it should display 'ROSE Online is now up to date' at the bottom.

The '--no-quarantine' part is required for this to work. MacOS will otherwise flag the application as untrustworthy, and will strongly suggest you move it to the bin.

On 2/20/2023 at 10:04 PM, Trebor said:

I have a couple of friends who use to Play Rose on a PC, since then they don't have a PC, but a MAC now.

I see the part on how to update Rose, but is there something on how to install on a MAC?

Thank you.

Hey! I am unfortunately not a Mac user, so am not sure how the installation process goes on a Mac. From what I have heard, people have used CrossOver to run the installer on MacOS. Maybe these resources can help you:

• This topic states that installation on CrossOver worked, but then updating failed. That can be addressed with the updater from this topic.
  • In the Discord > Noticeboard > questions, search for 'Installation on Mac (Windows 11 VM)'. There are several Mac users there, and if you scroll back to the beginning of the chat history, also some instructions for working with CrossOver.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I would like to confirm this works.

Emulation: Bottles

1. install bottles from the pop_shop
  2. create a new bottle
  3. create_bottle.thumb.png.f85447414fffca107f0b26c125f1c44c.png
  4. create "default gaming" bottle
    new_bottle.png.89a27bba9dee6399e6f48ef86ea91e3d.png
  5.  download the installer then run it with "run executable" within the bottle. I believe bottles can run lutris install scripts but I haven't tried that
    run_exevutable.thumb.png.d73f91d703b6ca1a96d4834db7642a54.png
  6.  it will create a "rose-updater" shortcut.
    rose_updater_hide.jpg.9dbfae882d991dd7d8192b2eb095ce7e.jpg
    1. this button opens the installation folder, click this to navigate to where rose is installed (its mumbo jumbo deep inside the bottles flatpak folder)
    2. this hides the program; you never use this "rose-updater" to launch the game
    3. changing launch options makes it pseudo login manager
    4. this was supposed to point to "add to library"
  7.  click the "add shortcut" above and point to trose.exe within the installation folder
  8. change the launch options to
    1. --login --server connect.roseonlinegame.com --username [email protected] --password pAsSw0rD

if you dont want to autologin just use

--server connect.roseonlinegame.com
  9. add the trose.exe shortcut again with your other account. In my case, I can't launch the same program twice so I had to add the same shortcut to launch two "separate" programs. You can rename the shortcuts to anything you want, like "rose_powder_market_abuse_account"
  10. from the image above, add them both to library
  11. download "swamp_rose_updater" from OP post, then paste it at the install folder
  12. open terminal in install folder then
    sudo chmod +x ./swamp_rose_updater
  13. From now on when you want to update the game (or always before launching), you have to open the terminal at the install folder then
    ./swamp_rose_updater

updater.png.1db42ae8647ba55e37e20570e438eec4.png

14. launch the game from the main bottles window -> library. The thumbnails are empty you have to meddle with the bottles settings to change them, google "bottles grid thumbnail library"
    launch.jpg.c3ee92d10230fce017f9fcfe12620b7e.jpg

edit: if you are using the launch options to autologin and if your password has a comma in it or any other terminal/shell reserved character you have to change your password to remove those

Edited by login2323
typo
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! I tried the update on Mac m1. And the updater works! But the game itself does not work unfortunatyy.
I am trying CrossOver at the moment and while Rose Online seems to be installed correctly and Up to date via the nice and working updater it is not opening the game. It's just starting for a few seconds and then nothing happens. 
Anyone else has some luck on MAC already? 
I am using Ventura 13.3 on M1 chip.

Edited by SWFjoda

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, publisacman said:

so on steam deck i could install lutris and download the game and install it using lutris?

On steam deck you do not need to install lutris at all, simply add it as a non-steam game. You need to copy the updater to the steam deck then launch it through steam using proton (latest preferably).

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/pc-gaming/how-to-install-non-steam-games-on-steam-deck

We will try to provide an official guide at a future time

on steam deck i added the installer as none steam game and installed the game. Then i added the rose updater as non steam game but the updater is not launching. I tried several compatibility modes like experimental and the last couple latest versions. 

Edited by publisacman

• HoneyBuns changed the title to [Tool] Install & update ROSE Online on Linux | Update ROSE Online on MacOS
  • 5 months later...

Is the tool still compatible with linux?
I've tried installing it on my Manjaro with lutris and the installation process completed fine, but I can't to initialize the game at all.

I've got this error:
"Failed to execute process 'gamemoderun /home/user/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/wine-ge-lol-8-27-x86_64/bin/wine /home/user/Games/rose-online/drive_c/Program Files/ROSE Online/trose.exe --init --server connect.roseonlinegame.com'. Check that the file exists"

Edit: The file is there, just to be clear.

Edited by Kermero

Works fine on LinuxMint, will see what happens after an update

On 3/18/2024 at 9:09 AM, Kermero said:

Is the tool still compatible with linux?
I've tried installing it on my Manjaro with lutris and the installation process completed fine, but I can't to initialize the game at all.

I've got this error:
"Failed to execute process 'gamemoderun /home/user/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/wine-ge-lol-8-27-x86_64/bin/wine /home/user/Games/rose-online/drive_c/Program Files/ROSE Online/trose.exe --init --server connect.roseonlinegame.com'. Check that the file exists"

Edit: The file is there, just to be clear.

is your linux username "user" ? Otherwise, change it to your username

On 3/19/2024 at 1:31 PM, Haki said:

Works fine on LinuxMint, will see what happens after an update

is your linux username "user" ? Otherwise, change it to your username

My username is not 'user'. Thanks for Your concern though. 🙂

I got my issue resolved yesterday. My Manjaro disto did not have the gamemode package installed which is required to run the game. I could not run anything. After running 'pamac install gamemod' everything started working perfectly.

• Like 1