Combat - Sniping skill range and cooldown tweak

Bobbity

Suggestion:

Cast range increase: Add 3 meters to Sniping's cast range per skill level learned

Cooldown increase: Add 5 seconds to the cooldown.

Status change: Have the skill deal guaranteed critical damage.

If Sniping has, for example, 9 skill levels with a maximum cast range of 30 meters, the new Sniping would be effective at 33 meters at level 1 and 57 meters at level 9.

The cooldown would also go from 6 seconds at all level to 11 seconds. This includes the casting time.

PROS:

-Sniping would fit the theme of the skill name and skill tree.

-Dealers can deal more reliable damage in battle without instantly being discovered. However, avoiding death would still be reliant on their ability to find cover.

-Supplements - does not replace - the effectiveness of their mid-range attack skills.

-Adds to a potential fortification-based playstyle. A Sniper would have to move to find better cover after firing. But should you follow the Sniper? Maybe there are traps! You don't know!

CONS:

-Sniping would be less available in PvP /  not be spammable.

-Requires changing some skill values that haven't been changed in forever

-.... (other stuff I can't think of right now, let me know what else goes here)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I wonder if this skill should be affected by cast range modifiers like gems or not. If this were to be implemented, being sniped from across the map would be a real hazard in PvP. You'd have to consider the terrain for possible hiding spots, have to send out hawkers to surveil, keep an eye on your HP during teamfights and, for muses, the cooldown of your Mana Shield.

On the other hand, the more snipers in a team's backline, the fewer frontliners you have tanking and dealing stable DPS. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bobbity said:

I wonder if this skill should be affected by cast range modifiers like gems or not. If this were to be implemented, being sniped from across the map would be a real hazard in PvP. You'd have to consider the terrain for possible hiding spots, have to send out hawkers to surveil, keep an eye on your HP during teamfights and, for muses, the cooldown of your Mana Shield.

On the other hand, the more snipers in a team's backline, the fewer frontliners you have tanking and dealing stable DPS. 

I use to hate it when i start off with my sniping skill and the mobs became aggro even before releasing the bullet. Definitely defeated the purpose of its name.

For some reason i am thinking that there was a stun effect tied to sniping at one time might just be my imagination, it would also be cool if you could add different status effects to the sniping.

Edited by Ashura

Yeah, I think there were two attacks: one a pseudo-attack that mini-stunned, and the actual snipe. As sniping has such a long range, I don't know if anything more than stun+slow is balanced. I guess it'd depend on the duration of the status effects. If there were bullets that dropped your MDEF for 4 seconds vs the stun that only lasts maybe 0.7 sec at most, coupled with a 2 sec slow, that shouldn't be too OP. We need to consider the worst-case scenario of chain snipes, thus stun-lock, perma-debuffed, perma-slowed. We obviously don't want that to happen as that'd become the new rigid meta for PvP.

Maybe different max durations for PvP than PvE?

• Confused 1