Market price caps/fluctuations & unique item drops

Jova1106

Price caps in shops

• Similar to how NPCs have recommended item sale values, I think it would be beneficial for the game's economy if all items in the game were capped at some artificial maximum price, relative to its value/tier. Not too low that profiting is too difficult, high enough that players can still make profit, but capped to prevent people from price gouging and exploiting other players. Granted, players can simply choose not to buy overpriced items, but one instance where it becomes a problem is when someone buys out all/most of something on the market, then resells them for ridiculous prices, just because they have the money to do so. I think safeguards should be in place to prevent this kind of predatory behavior. This especially applies to items that can be purchased from an NPC somewhere. There should only be a small markup allowed when a player sells something like a town scroll, maybe relative to the distance (# of maps away?) from the nearest NPC that sells that item. Another thing that could be good is for the maximum price for each item to fluctuate based on the in-game market conditions, particularly in localized areas. For example, if there are over a certain threshold of an item, like 2000 Junon TP scrolls for sale in the main streak in Junon, within some arbitrary distance, like 1000 engine units (whatever distance that would be), the price cap should go down, possibly even lowering the price of the item in NPC shops if it hits that point, down to a minimum value that probably shouldn't be too far below MSRP. It might be somewhat complicated to design a system like this, but I think it would be the healthiest route to take. More or less, it's just a code-enforced supply and demand kind of deal.

Player-unique drops from all mobs, especially bosses

• To have an environment where nobody feels like they're getting screwed over too badly, especially in boss fights, items should be generated per player. This way, each player has a chance, however small that chance may be, to get something. In this case, bosses could have a low chance, something like 3%, to drop a great item, and maybe something like a 10-15% chance to drop a less good, but still decent item. I remember when the game was in its infancy, dozens/hundreds of people would be gathered around the Aqua King, or the Grandmaster/Junon's Golem (I forgot which one spawns in that one area that used to be very popular). There would be maybe one good item that drops (I don't know because I never got anything or saw what actually dropped), and hundreds of people would be spamming their pickup key to try to get whatever dropped. I think that environment feels toxic to play in, and very unfair, especially for newer or more casual players who don't have all day to sit there trying to get the a decent drop. I believe that it used to also basically assign the item to the person who got the last hit (?), if I recall correctly. This system also allows players in parties to not have to worry about who gets which drops, so there would be no need for a system that distributes items/zulie. One way to prevent the game's economy from having too many items could be to balance how and which items drop, or make certain things account bound upon modifying/equipping them, like putting a gem into a socket or equipping a higher tier item.

Cheers

Edited by Jova1106
  • Like 1

I'm really curious how the economy will be.  In NA, most of the shops sold the p2w stuff from the Item Mall and prices were basically insane.  Now the IM will not have things like exp or drop medals or costumes with actual bonuses. With the duping problem fixed, there won't be stacks of hard to obtain items like the king medallions for sale either.

We still haven't heard whether we will keep the ability to move substats from one item to another but if that remains in the game, that might be another source of income depending on what max substats will be now and whether or not artisans will be able to craft items with max substats.  IM costumes might still have resale value for their looks, especially wings if those are in the IM.  I'd imagine materials will still be good to sell, especially mats that are not sold by one of the NPC's.

No answers but many questions lol. It's going to be interesting to see how it all falls into place when the game is live.

Edited by HoneyBuns
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 8:26 AM, Zeror said:

Would be cool if a vendor shop got an auction tab as well. Where you can bid on the item, but when the time is up then the item goes to the player with the highest bid.

Love the idea, but the only thing is the person selling would have to agree to the price that it is selling for.
Obviously you cant just say highest bid wins, as the bid being made might not be as high as the seller wants.
But all in all great idea

19 hours ago, Johan said:

Love the idea, but the only thing is the person selling would have to agree to the price that it is selling for.
Obviously you cant just say highest bid wins, as the bid being made might not be as high as the seller wants.
But all in all great idea

In the scenario of an auction, typically you'd set a minimum price that they'd want to sell it for, and then let people bid on it for x amount of time, for any amount larger than the previous bidding price.

12 hours ago, Jova1106 said:

In the scenario of an auction, typically you'd set a minimum price that they'd want to sell it for, and then let people bid on it for x amount of time, for any amount larger than the previous bidding price.

i am aware of this.
but he also didnt state it, so i just made the point.
while youre right, what if that minimum price that said seller wants to sell for isnt met. what happens?
As you can start the auction at whatever price you want as long as its reasonable.

On 5/30/2022 at 5:56 AM, Johan said:

i am aware of this.
but he also didnt state it, so i just made the point.
while youre right, what if that minimum price that said seller wants to sell for isnt met. what happens?
As you can start the auction at whatever price you want as long as its reasonable.

The bidding would start at the minimum price. If nobody bids, nobody buys, or the item doesn't sell.