Jump to content

Seperate servers for early access & launch


Averybee24601
 Share

Recommended Posts

Due to the direction change from betas to early access with no resets in between launch, there have been lots of talk about how new players starting at launch will feel at a major disadvantage, and will be completely decentivized to play the game as there already so many players that are max level, who have been playing for a long time at that point. This I think will drive a lot of players away, even people really interested and wanting to play they will get on, and see there is nobody to level with and they're already way behind because they started at launch, and maybe just heard about the launch with advertisement only happening at launch. 

 

My idea to combat this issue is to create two different servers early access, and launch. this way people just starting the game will not feel discouraged & demotivated and will have lots of people to play with and level with their level, and in my opinion would be a LOT more appealing to those new players. Then, 5 months down the road, or however long it takes to get from early access to launch, give that same amount of time to those new players to catch up to people who have been playing since early access then merge the servers together after that time period (for example early access was out 5 months before launch, give those new players 5 months time that way everything is fair) This way early access players will be able to have their fun together and not have to have a reset on progression & will still see an influx of new players and the the new players will not feel discouraged to the point they can't play because everybody is way higher than them, and will create a fresh feeling experience (which i think is needed and expected for people just hearing about the game) and everything will be fair. I see it as a win win for everyone. Yes i see splitting up the communities is unfortunate, but I think it is something that has to be done to retain the new players starting at launch, and it's not like they will be split together, i definitely think there should be a merge it will just make for a level playing field and in my opinion be the best thing that could happen to the game with the direction change and no resets. 

Edit: I'm not saying lock the launch server and EA players cannot join and make a new character, rather than would just enhance the new player experience even more. I'm looking out for the best interest in the game and that is retaining and gaining new players, and also not be a hindrance to "old" players who played on EA to have a reset and do the exact same repetitive grind to get their stuff back. I thought I'd add this because i felt people were getting the impression the servers should be locked and players from EA wouldnt be able to play with their new friends, This is not the case at all, i think not locking the servers would be the best idea. 

 

 

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear your feedback in the comments!

Cheers, Rosarians!

Edited by Averybee24601
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Garnet said:

Here is the short version:

We want a fresh server at release, so new players don't feel nor get disavantaged by old players

:kek:

haha exactly, but its not necessarily that we the early access players want it or will benefit from it, but rather the game as a whole will in my opinion grow so much more due to being able to retain new players and not having them feel discouraged, not wanting to play. After the merge, yes EA players will absolutely benefit from it much more aswell as those new players on launch servers. As there will be a lot more players to play with in my opinion than there would be without seperate servers.

Edited by Averybee24601
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, corrected :v

I will keep an eye on this thread, even if it's a little early for those questions

if that's the demand of the new players we may consider it, of course we would prefer to not split the community (+ all the troubles coming with it, more server cost, more server devops, more troubles in case of merge even if all the work we accomplished on the server will prevent a second draconis drama)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One Server to rule them all, 
One Server to find them,
One Server to bring them all 
and in the darkness bind them.

😛

Since Rose is an mmo, new players shouldn’t be discouraged if there are already high level players and an existing economy already in the game.

If one is not able to level from 1-250 solo, then yeah they would feel discouraged and quit, but I believe those vets and others at max level already, would most likely be willing to create alts to help new players where needed if the community isn’t too toxic.

I feel the server split would cause more chaos and disorder and more work and cost for the devs. Merging would also most likely break more than fix as well with the age of the game code. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about 6 months after release? Or what about 1 year after release? Ideally, there will always be new players joining the server for many years to come, else the game will slowly die again. Are we going to keep creating new servers? No, we should just build the game in a way that it's fun for new players even when they join later. This is the only way to guarantee long-term success and growth for Rose Online. So in my opinion, the devs should focus on making the game fun for new players during EA, so that on official launch it will not bother new players that they had a late start.

I dislike the idea of splitting the community in multiple servers. If you have a fanbase of millions of players like WoW you can do that, but on a smaller game like Rose Online it will just result in two servers with low population and activity.

Edited by Sui
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, unless the early access server is locked when the fresh server releases it doesn't do anything but "hide" the early access characters, so once the new player hits 5 months we'll merge and bam, a bunch of players with more progress than them are still added to the game. It doesn't do much but shift the problem and separate players (because early access players aren't likely to play seriously on the fresh server if the EA server isn't locked during the 'wait period').

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Garnet said:

of course we would prefer to not split the community

But that is exactly what's gonna happen if players have early access. In 1 single day alone a lot progress can be done. Players can reach like level 100-120 already on the first day. So if early access is longer then that some players might even reach max level before the game is officially launched. That will divide the playerbase a lot. Economic rules and prices etc.. decided before the game is released, etc...

So if early access is gonna be a thing then i would lock some progressions after a certain level for 'damage control'. No need for splitting servers and such when doing this. And on releaseday you can drop the lock on these content. I would lock these things:

  • Lock the second job quest.
  • Lock XP gain after level 100 (the level you need for 2nd job).
  • Lock Planet Luna, Eldeon, Oro etc... (Main quest can only progress on Planet Junon).
  • Lock all Union related stuff.
  • Lock all Clan related stuff (except registering Clans). Players can start clans, set 'm up and invite people.
  • Maximum of 3 characters.
  • Maybe: Lock account shared storage and zulie depositing, only character tab is available.
  • Maybe: Maximum of 2.000.000 Zulie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zeror said:

But that is exactly what's gonna happen if players have early access. In 1 single day alone a lot progress can be done. Players can reach like level 100-120 already on the first day. So if early access is longer then that some players might even reach max level before the game is officially launched. That will divide the playerbase a lot. Economic rules and prices etc.. decided before the game is released, etc...

So if early access is gonna be a thing then i would lock some progressions after a certain level for 'damage control'. No need for splitting servers and such when doing this. And on releaseday you can drop the lock on these content. I would lock these things:

  • Lock the second job quest.
  • Lock XP gain after level 100 (the level you need for 2nd job).
  • Lock Planet Luna, Eldeon, Oro etc... (Main quest can only progress on Planet Junon).
  • Lock all Union related stuff.
  • Lock all Clan related stuff (except registering Clans). Players can start clans, set 'm up and invite people.
  • Maximum of 3 characters.
  • Maybe: Lock account shared storage and zulie depositing, only character tab is available.
  • Maybe: Maximum of 2.000.000 Zulie

This is probably the best compromise so far, and it's a good compromise between an open beta / early access / full release. Keeping the game in this state for as long as it takes to fix whatever issues might come up is great, like you said it, damage control on a new server like this. Which I still argue is by far the biggest risk with their choice of going early access with no wipe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another solution for the EA server is to convert it at the end of EA to a testing server, the characters there will have meaning for a PBT, but this way everyone starts off at the same level. If you dont reset/make new servers on launch people will have millions of zulie and tons of items which will hurt the new players experience. People have the argument that "If this is an issue with EA -> Launch whats the difference between 5 months after launch" and the difference is when a game launches but people have millions of zulie even though its being advertised as a launch is entirely different from going into a game that you know is 5 months post launch. Anyone who plays WoW knows that they're playing a 15 year old game people have millions of gold, and absolute tons of mats, players expect this. A case of people having an issue with this is New World, they're releasing new servers to mitigate player congestion but people are transfering over with their millions of gold onto the "new server" this is equivelent to having players with 5 months of progress and then the advertised game launch comes and you show up and insect wings are 5k each and none of these new players are able to afford anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, incentivize players to play because it's a fun game. If progress of other players demotivates newcomers find a way to help these new players. As there should always be a steady flow of new players. Are we gonna reset every-time there will be a new wave of players? No of course not. Besides how many new players would actually know that the game just started or has been running for years? 

There is always players who will min max and grind every inch of a game. If this scares you, then I assume most MMO games aren't for you. As there will always be players ahead of the curve. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Whoop said:

No, incentivize players to play because it's a fun game. If progress of other players demotivates newcomers find a way to help these new players. As there should always be a steady flow of new players. Are we gonna reset every-time there will be a new wave of players? No of course not. Besides how many new players would actually know that the game just started or has been running for years? 

There is always players who will min max and grind every inch of a game. If this scares you, then I assume most MMO games aren't for you. As there will always be players ahead of the curve. 

Yeah, i agree with you in a sense, but it is not going to be fun to join a game after seeing an advertisement for it just launching only to find out people have already been maxed for a long time, the economy is already established, everything is expensive making it much harder to gear up, etc. you cannot compare Rose online to other games, is not like other MMO's, It's much more community driven and party leveling based, it's not a solo game at all it will take you several months to get max level mob grinding, and doing quests solo people will get burnt out fast where as in a party it may take a month at most. Sure they can work on improving questing, i've heard they already did a tiny bit and added a quest tracker, but that is just not enough to make it a very viable option to level. They do not have main story quests, nor really any story, just a bunch of random quests that feel kind of meaningless, which is not fun at all for people to just aimlessly do random quests to get to the next level. What im trying to say is rose is just not a solo game at all, and that is what it will be if there are no new players to level with and everybody is already max level. Rose is a 17 year old game, dont get me wrong i completely love the game and its my favorite mmorpg of all time but new players who didn't experience it in the past and its nostalgia will feel like it's very outdated and not worth the grind, and just quit and go to games they feel are a better option and more modern. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Whoop said:

No, incentivize players to play because it's a fun game. If progress of other players demotivates newcomers find a way to help these new players. As there should always be a steady flow of new players. Are we gonna reset every-time there will be a new wave of players? No of course not. Besides how many new players would actually know that the game just started or has been running for years? 

There is always players who will min max and grind every inch of a game. If this scares you, then I assume most MMO games aren't for you. As there will always be players ahead of the curve. 

There's a whole world of difference between an established MMO / Curve and something that will be "launched" and presumably marketed as 'new' in a scenario like this. You're comparing apples and oranges.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Whoop said:

There is always players who will min max and grind every inch of a game. If this scares you, then I assume most MMO games aren't for you. As there will always be players ahead of the curve. 

Nobody disagrees with you. It's true that some players will always be ahead, but atleast everyone should start at one point by choice and not because they are ahead because they played a few months ago. You don't want to play a race where everybody else made 10 laps before you, and even if you want to be ahead, you have no way catching up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, who cares? 

There are countless of suggestions in which people/devs are attempting to make higher levels revisit the lower level maps to make the game more lively and to help the new players. This is that.

No one cares if they see higher level people if they start a new game, even if there’s no reset from early access. Literally no one. If anything, it’ll help new players receive more powerful buffs and such to ease the leveling process during the start of their adventures. It’ll also allow those who participated in the early access to make another character and to guide new players, even if that person who joined in early access is completely new to the game. As mentioned before, this is an MMO. It doesn’t matter if it’s the same play style as other MMOs, it’s all the same genre. With that, there will ALWAYS be someone ahead of you. This argument of having millions and billions of zulie is ridiculous. 6 months isn’t going to inflate an orc launcher to go from 12k zulie to 89k, it’s simply absurd. Someone mentioned you can go from level 1 to 120 in a day… Lmfao.. okay, you do that. And if it so happens that this is even remotely possible, what difference does it make if you start in early access or the official launch of the game? Either way it’ll only take “a day” to reach that level lol.. honestly.

Splitting up the population from the get go for an already dead (now coming back to life) game is the absolute worst way to start a server. 

Edited by Avatar
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Avatar said:

Someone mentioned you can go from level 1 to 120 in a day… Lmfao.. okay, you do that.

All other things aside, the stress test was what, 3 days? And the top players were level 100 (which was the limit) at that point. Said it was hit in 24 hours (I would assume RW time, not IG time) and not even with a full party for all of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Zeror said:

A lot of people apparently.

3 people hardly count as “a lot.” 

3 minutes ago, Wondertje said:

All other things aside, the stress test was what, 3 days? And the top players were level 100 (which was the limit) at that point. Said it was hit in 24 hours (I would assume RW time, not IG time) and not even with a full party for all of it.

Good to know. If it’s possible for one, then it’s possible for all.

Either way, if a new player were to start on day 1 or 2, then there would already be people level 100+. Making this entire suggestion moot. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wondertje said:

All other things aside, the stress test was what, 3 days? And the top players were level 100 (which was the limit) at that point. Said it was hit in 24 hours (I would assume RW time, not IG time) and not even with a full party for all of it.

Really? With 1x level speed? that's pretty hardcore.

 

Also, i think this splitting server idea is a bad idea. It doesn't work if you gonna merge them later on anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Amino said:

Really? With 1x level speed? that's pretty hardcore.

 

Also, i think this splitting server idea is a bad idea. It doesn't work if you gonna merge them later on anyway.

Why is that? It'll be much more appealing for new players to play the game if there are actually people to level with. Okay maybe players wont instantly quit, they will get to level 100 and get burnt out and quit due to questing not being fun at all, and solo mob grinding. Rose online is not a solo game, its a community driven game it is not fun to play solo im sorry. Especially with the new buff changes to cleric, players will need to be in the same party as others to be able to buff them, i dont remember if group has a level gap or not, but i know party does and new players will just not be able to be buffed at all if it does. I've seen it with a lot of games at launch, that also were not nearly as community driven as rose online.  I don't see any harm in this, i think it will appeal to new players and bring so many in the door and retain them. And the extra server cost will be offset by the influx of players gained from this buying from IM. I'm looking at the big picture and what will be best for the over all health of the game. and to clarify, im not saying EA players can not make new chars on launch servers and play with their friends, basically all i am saying is there will be no reset, and EA accounts will be saved on this early access server. 

Edited by averybee1022
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, averybee1022 said:

Why is that? It'll be much more appealing for new players to play the game if there are actually people to level with. Okay maybe players wont instantly quit, they will get to level 100 and get burnt out and quit due to questing not being fun at all, and solo mob grinding. Rose online is not a solo game, its a community driven game it is not fun to play solo im sorry. Especially with the new buff changes to cleric, players will need to be in the same party as others to be able to buff them, i dont remember if group has a level gap or not, but i know party does and new players will just not be able to be buffed at all if it does. I've seen it with a lot of games at launch, that also were not nearly as community driven as rose online.  I don't see any harm in this, i think it will appeal to new players and bring so many in the door and retain them. And the extra server cost will be offset by the influx of players gained from this buying from IM. I'm looking at the big picture and what will be best for the over all health of the game. and to clarify, im not saying EA players can not make new chars on launch servers and play with their friends, basically all i am saying is there will be no reset, and EA accounts will be saved on this early access server. 

Yet we have many classes and characters to level. The first few years when  NA Rose went f2p parties were to be found plenty. I doubt many players will be done leveling after this time. Maybe those who have time to play all day and grind to get to 120 in a day. But that's not the general playerbase. 

Edited by Whoop
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, averybee1022 said:

Why not? It'll be much more appealing for new players to play the game if there are actually people to level with. Okay maybe players wont instantly quit, they will get to level 100 and get burnt out and quit due to questing not being fun at all, and solo mob grinding. Rose online is not a solo game, its a community driven game it is not fun to play solo im sorry. Especially with the new buff changes to cleric, players will need to be in the same party as others to be able to buff them, i dont remember if group has a level gap or not, but i know party does and new players will just not be able to be buffed at all if it does. I've seen it with a lot of games at launch, that were actually viable solo playing games. I don't see any harm in this, i think it will appeal to new players and bring so many in the door and retain them. And the extra server cost will be offset by the influx of players gained from this buying from IM. I'm looking at the big picture and what will be best for the over all health of the game. and to clarify, im not saying EA players can not make new chars on launch servers and play with their friends, basically all i am saying is there will be no reset, and EA accounts will be saved on this early access server. 

You’re missing the entire point. 

You say yourself that the servers will merge eventually… so what is the point of separating the servers? Lol. No one cares that there are going to be high level people. And if your whole point is separating the highest level players from the lower level ones, it’s already going to be done because the higher level folks will be on a whole different planet. 

If the questing aspect is not going to be fun around level 100, then this isn’t going to be remedied by an entirely new server with the same content. Talk to the devs in this regard. 

I love how you keep mentioning soloing… if a high level player is separated to another server, those people will continue to level up. If they wish to create a new character, they’re going to be stuck on the same server as their higher level character, keeping them from leveling with new players unless another higher level player also starts a new character, creating the same “issue” that you’re trying to portray. So what do we do then? Make another server? 

You say the early access players will be able to create a new character on the release server to play with their friends. Why can’t I just create a new character on the same account and play with my friends? Why does there have to be an entirely new server? 

Groups have no level gap, unless these devs are going to implement one. 

You’re not looking at the big picture here. You’re blinded by this horrific idea and fail to see the other aspects that it'll effect. It does more harm than anything (I wont say good because there’s nothing good about it).

Edited by Avatar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's be honest, the whole point of doing an "early access" is ridiculous. Since there will be no wipe, there will be nothing separating the two (EA and launch) other than a potential marketing campaign. So just drive the campaign now and launch the server in December. There's literally nothing about this EA that actually entails to being an EA.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wondertje said:

Let's be honest, the whole point of doing an "early access" is ridiculous. Since there will be no wipe, there will be nothing separating the two (EA and launch) other than a potential marketing campaign. So just drive the campaign now and launch the server in December. There's literally nothing about this EA that actually entails to being an EA.

They’re treating it as an open beta.. where players can play the game and stop waiting for everything to finish and actively report bugs and whatnot to the team so it can be fixed before launch. If someone were to play during an official launch and were to come in contact with many bugs and stuff, then they’d leave as no one wants to play a buggy game. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Avatar said:

You’re missing the entire point. 

You say yourself that the servers will merge eventually… so what is the point of separating the servers? Lol. No one cares that there are going to be high level people. And if your whole point is separating the highest level players from the lower level ones, it’s already going to be done because the higher level folks will be on a whole different planet. 

If the questing aspect is not going to be fun around level 100, then this isn’t going to be remedied by an entirely new server with the same content. Talk to the devs in this regard. 

I love how you keep mentioning soloing… if a high level player is separated to another server, those people will continue to level up. If they wish to create a new character, they’re going to be stuck on the same server as their higher level character, keeping them from leveling with new players unless another higher level player also starts a new character, creating the same “issue” that you’re trying to portray. So what do we do then? Make another server? 

You say the early access players will be able to create a new character on the release server to play with their friends. Why can’t I just create a new character on the same account and play with my friends? Why does there have to be an entirely new server? 

Groups have no level gap, unless these devs are going to implement one. 

You’re not looking at the big picture here. You’re blinded by this horrific idea and fail to see the other aspects that it'll effect. It does more harm than anything (I wont say good because there’s nothing good about it).

You are missing my point entirely aswell. Players do absolutely care and will not play if there is nobody to play with and yes that would be amazing if every new player could just rely on max level ppl to just make a new character with them and help them out of pure generosity. You cannot depend on that, and even if a few people do make new characters to help you, there still will not be nearly enough people to level with newbies. Also not even to mention, the economy will have already been established for 6+ months, making everything completely unaffordable for new players and making it very hard to gear, and get the items they need or want to do what they want to do. There is so much magic in a freshly launched mmorpg. And if advertisements are saying “newly launched mmorpg” it’s going to be very deceiving to new players and unfair as they will be expecting a fresh start. Yes this game is not a fun solo experience, questing is not fun, there’s no main story quest or anything to keep players interested and wanting to continue other than the low amount of exp you get people will be burnt by level 100 or 150

 

ps this is averybee24601 lol thought i was logged in on that account. 

Edited by prettywomanlover
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...