Jump to content

Hire a forum manager


Avatar
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I think it is fair for me to voice my frustrations regarding the lack of communication and the amount of neglect these forums receive from the staff. 

Back at the beginning of June, I made a post asking for an update (if we were even entitled to one) regarding the progress of the game. There had been many updates given to those who paid via ko-fi - No issues there. The issue was there was an update given that was only given to the Discord server. This information was only provided after I made the post and another user provided the update. LazyPenguin also mentioned that he would not leave the forums behind again. 

Where my frustrations lie is again with not updating the forums. I mean, these are the official forums lol. If you are going to give information away on Discord, just copy/paste it into a new thread under the announcement section! You’re already posting the update! While we are on the subject, the website should also be receiving these announcements at the same time the Discord servers are being updated. 

Some things to keep in mind are people don’t all use Discord. It’s popular, sure, but not everyone uses it. I use it very seldom myself. I do, however (and so does everyone else), use a cell phone to view the forums every so often and often have my replies and initial posts (such as this) written from my phone. I do not like the Discord app.. at all. 

I’d also like to mention that I understand that the staff can get very busy at times. I’m no coder, but I know a lot of time is spent with ensuring we all get a great experience at the game and for that, we are all appreciative. 

Thus the reason for this post. Hire a sort of forum/website manager that’ll be able to update the forum/website as things are being announced and released. If you guys don’t have any time in your day, then please find someone who does. @Wondertje and @HoneyBuns are both great candidates for this. They are very active and engaging with others. I’m sure they both have guides that they can post to help players along the way once everything is officially released. 

Thank you for reading. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think your idea of hiring a website/forum manager with intent on cross-posting information to make sure it reaches everyone is a great idea. I thank you wholeheartedy for the kind words too. If they were interested in doing so, they could absolutely reach out to me. I have years of experience of both moderating and managing (mostly managing) large game communities both profressionally hired and as community efforts.

TL:DR Yes, I think a person in this position would be cool, whoever it may be.

Edited by Wondertje
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion you can't really complain that communication is delivered in different ways across different medium of communication.
To each their own ; Medias like discord put emphasis on the "live" side of things, so you are much more likely to get the news first or being able to talk to the staff.

And which "news" would you be talking about ?
I've checked and there's not that much difference on what is written in the discord announcements and here.

Anecdotal discord talk is what it is, and is part of said media.

Edited by Shid0x
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Avatar said:

Hello,

I think it is fair for me to voice my frustrations regarding the lack of communication and the amount of neglect these forums receive from the staff. 

Back at the beginning of June, I made a post asking for an update (if we were even entitled to one) regarding the progress of the game. There had been many updates given to those who paid via ko-fi - No issues there. The issue was there was an update given that was only given to the Discord server. This information was only provided after I made the post and another user provided the update. LazyPenguin also mentioned that he would not leave the forums behind again. 

Where my frustrations lie is again with not updating the forums. I mean, these are the official forums lol. If you are going to give information away on Discord, just copy/paste it into a new thread under the announcement section! You’re already posting the update! While we are on the subject, the website should also be receiving these announcements at the same time the Discord servers are being updated. 

Some things to keep in mind are people don’t all use Discord. It’s popular, sure, but not everyone uses it. I use it very seldom myself. I do, however (and so does everyone else), use a cell phone to view the forums every so often and often have my replies and initial posts (such as this) written from my phone. I do not like the Discord app.. at all. 

I’d also like to mention that I understand that the staff can get very busy at times. I’m no coder, but I know a lot of time is spent with ensuring we all get a great experience at the game and for that, we are all appreciative. 

Thus the reason for this post. Hire a sort of forum/website manager that’ll be able to update the forum/website as things are being announced and released. If you guys don’t have any time in your day, then please find someone who does. @Wondertje and @HoneyBuns are both great candidates for this. They are very active and engaging with others. I’m sure they both have guides that they can post to help players along the way once everything is officially released. 

Thank you for reading. 

 

Aww thanks. I do have an absolute ton of guides from NA, both regular and event, and I have been making notes on them but it would be misleading to post anything until we know exactly what is changing.  I'm lucky to have experience with both iROSE and Evo and I remember well how lost I felt when I came to NA.  That's always my focus when making guides; I want people who are new to ROSE and  old players who are new to Evo to be able to understand.  

As for Discord, some people have argued (on Discord) how forums are an outdated way to communicate. Personally I would prefer to see info both on Discord and here at the forum.  A lot of older people especially are not comfortable with a live chat.  However, the decision of where and what to share is decided by the Rednim staff.  I don't know how responsibilities are divided within the team but they do have people working on the website itself. Since this is a small team with many members volunteering their time, I highly doubt hiring a forum manager is possible or that it should be a priority.

That being said, they already know that I will do anything they need done. Once the game launches and the new forum sections are added, I plan to post guides, regardless of whether or not I have any official title.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Shid0x said:

In my opinion you can't really complain that communication is delivered in different ways across different medium of communication.
To each their own ; Medias like discord put emphasis on the "live" side of things, so you are much more likely to get the news first or being able to talk to the staff.

And which "news" would you be talking about ?
I've checked and there's not that much difference on what is written in the discord announcements and here.

Anecdotal discord talk is what it is, and is part of said media.

Thankfully it’s just your opinion then. One can absolutely complain that there’s a difference between what is announced on each platform, especially when it’s concerning the official entities. 

The whole point of having multiple platforms is spreading the info as much as possible. That sentence itself should tell you that not everyone uses every platform. People have their preference and despite their decision, they shouldn’t be left out of not knowing information. 

Your sentence referring to “there’s not that much difference” is already wrong. There shouldn’t be any difference. I am not saying don’t post on Discord first prior to updating forums/website. I agree that Discord is more real time communication between the devs and community. What my point is when you DO make the announcement on Discord, take the time to update the forum and main website, as well. 

Edited by Avatar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, HoneyBuns said:

As for Discord, some people have argued (on Discord) how forums are an outdated way to communicate. Personally I would prefer to see info both on Discord and here at the forum.  A lot of older people especially are not comfortable with a live chat.  However, the decision of where and what to share is decided by the Rednim staff.  I don't know how responsibilities are divided within the team but they do have people working on the website itself. Since this is a small team with many members volunteering their time, I highly doubt hiring a forum manager is possible or that it should be a priority.

Sure, they could argue that the forum is an old way of communicating, but it’s one the first places people come to for information. 

If they don’t want to keep it updated or share the same communication across all platforms, then why even have a forum to begin with? Deactivate it. If you want guides and stuff, make a wiki page. 

But don’t create a forum page and abandon it. It can drive people away from the game because they’ll think it’s dead. It makes no sense. 

Edited by Avatar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Thankfully it’s just your opinion then. One can absolutely complain that there’s a difference between what is announced on each platform, especially when it’s concerning the official entities. 


Its more of a fact than an opinion, information is conveyed differently in both form and content in different platforms.
Look at any corporation, brand, soccer team, video game... The way information is relayed varies greatly from twitter to official websites, to instagram/tiktok to forum and others. 

I still can't understand what you were talking about, the last announcements on the discord are : Stress test / Ko-fi #7 And the last announcements on the forum are Stress test / ko-fi #7. 
Adding a "blue tracker" like what blizzard did to highlight the post of developers / CMs might be a good addition to the forums tho.

I think what you seek is little pieces and bits that are shared on discord, but most of those are informal and don't really engage the staff in any ways, whereas a forum post would probably have much more impact.

Edited by Shid0x
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Shid0x said:

I think what you seek is little pieces and bits that are shared on discord, but most of those are informal and don't really engage the staff in any ways, whereas a forum post would probably have much more impact.

No, what they wanted to know was that the next major milestone had started and that the alpha test that we were told all we needed was a website/forum account for, had in fact started.

EDIT: Maybe you're on the wrong Discord if the last thing you see in announcements is the Ko-Fi one.

EDIT: Sorry @Avatardidn't mean to speak for what you wanted, I just made an assumption.

Edited by Wondertje
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Shid0x said:


Its more of a fact than an opinion, information is conveyed differently in both form and content in different platforms.
Look at any corporation, brand, soccer team, video game... The way information is relayed varies greatly from twitter to official websites, to instagram/tiktok to forum and others. 

I still can't understand what you were talking about, the last announcements on the discord are : Stress test / Ko-fi #7 And the last announcements on the forum are Stress test / ko-fi #7. 
Adding a "blue tracker" like what blizzard did to highlight the post of developers / CMs might be a good addition to the forums tho.

I think what you seek is little pieces and bits that are shared on discord, but most of those are informal and don't really engage the staff in any ways, whereas a forum post would probably have much more impact.

You said it yourself. The way information is conveyed is different between the platforms. I agree. My argument here doesn’t involve the way it’s being communicated because there’s no communication to begin with.

If they make an announcement on the forums saying the stress test is during a certain weekend and to standby for more information.. then present that information when the weekend comes along. Don’t just abandon that announcement.

The forum never received that info, only discord. So again, I’m not arguing that there’s a difference in how it’s conveyed, I’m arguing that there’s no information at all being presented to the forum. 

Edited by Avatar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Wondertje said:

No, what they wanted to know was that the next major milestone had started and that the alpha test that we were told all we needed was a website/forum account for, had in fact started.

Alright, this i can agree on. Maybe there should have been a post stating "hey guys it started" and linked https://roseonlinegame.com/event/1-alpha-stress-test in subsequent post. Its an omission but not a big one to be honest, pretty sure the community managers are learning too. 

It will get better with time, my main point was addressing the differences between medias.

Edited by Shid0x
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Shid0x said:

Alright, this i can agree on. Maybe there should have been a post stating "hey guys it started" and linked https://roseonlinegame.com/event/1-alpha-stress-test in subsequent post. Its an omission but not a big one to be honest, pretty sure the community managers are learning too. 

It will get better with time, my main point was addressing the differences between medias.

If that is what got you on the same page, then I’m all for it. 

I find it hard to believe that it’s a simple oversight when there are other posts regarding where to find the information to download anything from. @Wondertjehas been doing a great job in answering them and providing links, including to myself. Not to mention that they had to go in the forum and manually create a subsection regarding bugs and they’ve already made an announcement telling us to stand by on more info  

Sure it can be a simple oversight, but it’s a little ridiculous. 

Edited by Avatar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As mentioned, the stress test was not an official launch. More for us to test different systems behind the scenes, when we go fully live don't worry things will be in place to send the same messages across all platform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I understand it’s not an official release. My whole point is the forum received an announcement telling us to wait for additional information that never came. If you don’t intend to put the information out to the forum, don’t make an announcement telling us to wait for further info and not give us anything. 

It also doesn’t make sense that this is a stress test, but information is only being put out in 1 place. I’d figure you’d want as many players as possible for this test. So why not post in all mediums? 

Edited by Avatar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Avatar said:

I understand it’s not an official release. My whole point is the forum received an announcement telling us to wait for additional information that never came. If you don’t intend to put the information out to the forum, don’t make an announcement telling us to wait for further info and not give us anything. 

It also doesn’t make sense that this is a stress test, but information is only being put out in 1 place. I’d figure you’d want as many players as possible for this test. So why not post in all mediums? 

Yup we missed it and hold our hands up. As mentioned in future this won't be an issue. :SkillKiss:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't get how you guy's jump from an subject to another? And also i don't get what information you miss out? i have read the stress test on website and discord, alright maybe they miss forum or something like that but let's not over exagerate it as mentioned @Shid0x they are learning and this stress test is all about ghatering infromation on handling and learning. 

To point out let's focus on what this topic is all about and move on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MeNewbie said:

I don't get how you guy's jump from an subject to another? And also i don't get what information you miss out? i have read the stress test on website and discord, alright maybe they miss forum or something like that but let's not over exagerate it as mentioned @Shid0x they are learning and this stress test is all about ghatering infromation on handling and learning. 

To point out let's focus on what this topic is all about and move on!

It’s not difficult to determine what information was left out of the forum. Check the announcement section or read my other posts within this thread and you’ll find out. 

It’s not an over exaggeration when there have been a couple of instances already involving the same problem. 

I do appreciate them taking responsibility, though. So thank you @HazDS.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for your feedback Avatar. Rest assured the forums are an important medium for us and we have been keeping them as up to date as we can. As a team with limited resources sometimes things fall through the cracks, especially during these times where we are working hard on high priority tasks to bring the game back up.

Yes, we failed to have a follow up post on the forums and on the website for the launch of the alpha stress test. Unfortunately we had a very extreme crunch for the days leading up to the stress test even up to the last hour (we started 40 minutes late from our original timeline and only made the discord announcements about 2 hours before we opened). After releasing our client we were doing several hours of real-time support for players to get into the game. The whole team was on deck for the alpha test and unfortunately "make an update post on the forum/website" fell to the bottom of the to-do list.

We conducted the stress test to discover these exact flaws in our processes. From our communication to our systems and more. We are grateful for our community who have been wonderful and helping us on many fronts ranging from player support to providing game feedback, streaming and more.

As a team we have opened the doors from day 1 for others to be involved in the resurrection of ROSE Online and we welcome all feedback, positive and negative. Unfortunately, such as in this case, the critiques can be uncharitable. I will kindly ask you to exercise some empathy towards our team who have been working hard to make all this happen.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...