Trebor

Town Scrolls  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a change in Town Scrolls?

• Yes
    • No

I do not think that every town should have all the town scrolls, a lot of players already know where to traverse and should prepare appropriately . We are venturing into the realm of comfortability and that is a dangerous realm to be stuck in.

This goes for other consumables as well.

Overall I think the main goal should be to have players traverse as much as possible before being able to buy/use scrolls. You wouldn't believe how often I've come across players not knowing the most basic of locations because they were either sold or traded scrolls and started scrolling to places way before they should've been there story wise.

EDIT: A solution to this could be to make scrolls unusable unless the map has been previous "unlocked". Similar to how in Runescape you need to run to each teleport point before you can use that teleport freely in the game. So Junon Polis scrolls could be unlocked once you enter the city for the first time, etc.

Edited by Wondertje
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wondertje said:

A solution to this could be to make scrolls unusable unless the map has been previous "unlocked". Similar to how in Runescape you need to run to each teleport point before you can use that teleport freely in the game. So Junon Polis scrolls could be unlocked once you enter the city for the first time, etc.

So, like waypoints. Nice. Could also have rare hidden (changing?) special places that offer fast travel to unlocked destinations. Hmm...

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Wondertje said:

Overall I think the main goal should be to have players traverse as much as possible before being able to buy/use scrolls. You wouldn't believe how often I've come across players not knowing the most basic of locations because they were either sold or traded scrolls and started scrolling to places way before they should've been there story wise.

EDIT: A solution to this could be to make scrolls unusable unless the map has been previous "unlocked". Similar to how in Runescape you need to run to each teleport point before you can use that teleport freely in the game. So Junon Polis scrolls could be unlocked once you enter the city for the first time, etc.

or maybe let's say some location can be used by a lvl req. so for sure lvl 200+ players known all maps 

I think they should be removed from the game, and replaced with Waypoints/being able to open the world map and click on Zant or Junon (as long as you are physically on that planet) and travel there for the same price it would cost to buy it from the NPC.

No more forgetting to buy scrolls, more inventory space for other things. If they are changing Clerics, why aren't they changing this? Removing scrolls and going to a waypoint system is a massive Quality of Life change.

In 2005 it might have been fine, but you will rarely find a game now that doesn't have fast travel, taxi, waypoints, etc., instead of forcing players to spend 5+ minutes clicking through terrain.

At the very least, something like a Hearthstone should be on every created characters inventory, bound, unable to be deleted. That can be used to save and travel to your return point.

Edited by Ilsalay
clarification
  • Like 1

Could have a tiered approach the higher in level you are, the more developed the planet thus more options available etc. Could also *build* waypoints in safe zones outside of towns. Or the zone would have to be *made* safe by the players to set a waypoint on dangerous planets. I feel like the further along you progress the more options should be available. So early-game you have to walk, maybe loot a tp scroll here and there, maybe craft a scroll or something; late-game you get to use waypoints, set waypoints, craft, use an NPC taxi (flying carpet maybe), use your cart, ship, mount, flying mount, airship, teleportation array from the Oblivion Temple and so on. The hearthstone could be partially and then fully unlocked by the time players get to Luna. More and more options the higher you progress.

With regards to crafting scrolls, I'd love to hear what people think of this.  

Edited by Bobbity
Brain
  • Confused 1

I dislike the town teleport scrolls. There are enough ways to travel around. Those teleport scrolls are really not needed if you ask me. Teleporting around makes the world feel small and then you get easily bored, i guess.

8 minutes ago, Zeror said:

Teleporting around makes the world feel small and then you get easily bored, i guess.

That's a good and fair point. Isn't the problem just really cheap and free access? If teleportation was only freely available from very few points on a planet or scrolls required an entire artisan 'mastery', wouldn't that mitigate the effects of 'small world' syndrome?

Having said that, I don't want teleportation to be restricted to crafters alone. It could be a costly (cost in terms of skill points), rare (difficult quest reward) or even Unique skill for clerics - or it could even be classless. 

Edited by Bobbity
Left out some words again, sigh.
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Bobbity said:

That's a good and fair point. Isn't the problem just really cheap and free access? If teleportation was only freely available from very few points on a planet or scrolls required an entire artisan 'mastery', wouldn't that mitigate the effects of 'small world' syndrome?

Point 1: I would give the crafting teleport scroll skill to the Muse 2nd Job actually. I feel that's more fitting.
Point 2: If the amount of available scrolls decreases (cause they have to be crafted first) then people would travel a lot more often, yes. That would make the world feel larger.

Edited by Zeror
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Zeror said:

Point 1: I would give the crafting teleport scroll skill to the Muse 2nd Job actually. I feel that's more fitting.
Point 2: If the amount of available scrolls decreases (cause they have to be crafted first) then people would travel a lot more often, yes. That would make the world feel larger.

The muse 2nd class skill does make sense. I remember in Pre-Evo there was an NPC in Zant that was part of the Arumic clan that would teleport you to whatever location she gave you the option for. We can continue off of this tradition and keep it for muses only. 

• Like 3

One could argue that reinforcement and endowment of armor are magic skills too, as you imbue cloth and leather with runes. But I'd actually like to see specialized crafting skills on every class: scrolls on muses, fletching and poisons on hawkers, and ... something on soldiers. Something to think about.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Bobbity said:

One could argue that reinforcement and endowment of armor are magic skills too, as you imbue cloth and leather with runes. But I'd actually like to see specialized crafting skills on every class: scrolls on muses, fletching and poisons on hawkers, and ... something on soldiers. Something to think about.  

I’m also in favor of this idea. One idea for soldiers could be crafting perfect repair hammers instead of having the NPCs sell them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m sure we can think of more. That’s just an off the bat quick thinking idea. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Avatar said:

I’m also in favor of this idea. One idea for soldiers could be crafting perfect repair hammers instead of having the NPCs sell them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m sure we can think of more. That’s just an off the bat quick thinking idea. 

Perfect repair hammers for weapons only on soldiers i would say. And have the armor-version of the perfect hammer at Artisans.

• Like 1

I dunno, guys; it seems a bit random to me. All the other crafting specializations make perfect sense, some even reminiscent of pre-evo and fanfics on the Warpportal forums. The hammer thing seems more artisan than soldier to me. Don't we have anything else? Or maybe some other specialization that's not crafting but isn't combat either?

• Confused 1